Mikuni Air Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni Air Filter?

So I do an ebay purchase for a "NOS K&N air filter, for GS750/1000/1100 E Models". The picture showed a quartering shot from the open end of what appeared to be an OEM style K&N filter. I picked it up cheap, for $16, including shipping. Can't complain about that.

When it arrives, I'm expecting it to be in a box like this:

Instead, I get this box (with ancient UPS shipping label dated 1981):

Ok, well, maybe the K&N box is long gone, so this Mikuni box is holding my prized filter. When I open the box, I expect to see this (the K&N currently used in my 1100E):

Instead, I find this:

Here's a side by side comparison:

First of all, I didn't know Mikuni made air filters. Secondly, I think this will flow more air than the K&N, assuming the materials of construction are of equal quality. It is longer than the K&N, and isn't tapered either, so teh surface area of this filter is considerably larger. It is more difficult to get in and out of the airbox (notice the scratches on top that I put on it), but fits fine once it's in place.

I gave the seller positive feedback, because I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other. I did message him that it isn't a K&N, but rather a Mikuni filter, so if he has any more, he should describe them as such.

Learn something new every day, I guess.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

looks like a win...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Want to sell it?

Daniel

Comment

I recently found out that Mikuni was/is making odd things I didn't know about either. They make rearsets. Yeah. Weird right? But you don't see their products on shelves over here. EMGO used to be THE stuff back in the day. Now they're mostly a punch line. Wonder if Mikuni kinda went that way too or if they're just pressed out of the market by bigger companies or cheaper products?
        I know they make damn good carburetors. I would chance to guess their other products are probably good stuff too.

They make rearsets for the ZRX. I might try a set of em on once the Rex is done being the double duty machine she is now.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          looks like a win...
          That's what I'm thinking. $16 is cheaper than the oem paper element.

Originally posted by 7981GS
          Want to sell it?

Daniel

Nope, it's for my new super-secret-as-yet-unveiled-to-all-but-my-best-friend project.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Nope, it's for my new super-secret-as-yet-unveiled-to-all-but-my-best-friend project.
            Those are the best kind!!!

Waiting to see what it is.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              it's for my new super-secret-as-yet-unveiled-to-all-but-my-best-friend project.
              Well, he must not have a project at all, because I haven't heard about it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, he's got me trying to piece together clues. It's supposed to fit a 1000E, and Josh mentioned in another thread that his next GS will be a 1000E...
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                X