1982 GS 450 No air adjust screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 450 No air adjust screw?

I recently picked up this 1982 GS 450 on the cheap. I'm tuning/balancing the carbs, and for the life of me i can't find an air adjust screw, is it possible that it is factory sealed? I have a .pdf maintenance manual covering years 1977-1983, but The diagrams are dark.

Yes, by law it was covered at the factory, but it can and should be removed. Check out the CV carb rebuild PDF on BassCliff's web site. It shows exactly where it is located, at the front top of the carb under a small cap. The cap can be drilled and removed with a small screw. Just don't go too deep or you will hit the air screw itself. I'll post a link here momentarily.
    Edit: here is the link to the correct document that shows how to remove the cap: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf
    Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by System9 View Post
      I recently picked up this 1982 GS 450 on the cheap. I'm tuning/balancing the carbs, and for the life of me i can't find an air adjust screw, is it possible that it is factory sealed? I have a .pdf maintenance manual covering years 1977-1983, but The diagrams are dark.
      Look at attached pic (part #37) or go to website shown if you can't expand pic! www.alpha-sports.com look for parts diagram.
      Last edited by tom203; 10-02-2011, 11:55 AM. Reason: bad link
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Awesome .pdf instructions, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Yes, by law it was covered at the factory, but it can and should be removed. Check out the CV carb rebuild PDF on BassCliff's web site. It shows exactly where it is located, at the front top of the carb under a small cap. The cap can be drilled and removed with a small screw. Just don't go too deep or you will hit the air screw itself. I'll post a link here momentarily.
          Edit: here is the link to the correct document that shows how to remove the cap: http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_BS-CV_Carburetor_Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf
          Mine has no such cap on the front, but a very similar one on the side of the carb, I'm guessing the carbs are slightly different? I have a GS 450t, i'm going to try to link to a photo I took of it

Comment

That little disk with the little hole in it, just to the left of your clamp screw, is it.

Most of the GS carbs have them on the top, the twins have them on the sides.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just drilled mine out friday to do a complete dip and ring replacement. A 5/32 bit works perfectly on that cap, the sheet metal screw of approp. Size will take it right out. My adjustment screws were backed out 2 1/2 turns by the factory. remember to check that before you pull them by the way.

Comment

Pulled the caps, adjusted, synced the carbs, purrs like a kitten now. Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, You should update your profile with your location that way someone local way want to help out and update your signature with your bike.
                  BassCliff will be along eventually with your official welcome, in the mean time here is a link to his site which is full of great hints and tricks.

Good luck!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted! Welcome to the forums
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X