Utterly Confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utterly Confused...

alrighty, yet another question about carbs and jet kits...

my 82 1100g has been a total nightmare to get running...

so i completely rebuild and rejetted the carbs, my bike has individual air pods and an open exhaust (dont hate me)... i used a stage 3 DynaJet kit and followed the instructions exactly...

except for one thing, i kept the factory needles as they were in the carbs, (i didnt swap them out for the slimmer dyna-jet needles... the bike ran okay but it idle'd pretty high, even with the idle screw backed all the way off, and it also popped a TON in the exhaust, mostly upon decel... it also ran a little too hot.

so i figured okay, i'll switch out the needles like the instructions recommended and that should fix the high idle and popping right?

i put the new dynajet needles in like the instructions described... E-clip on the 3rd slot for the top of the needle, factory washer under the e-clip, dynajet washer above the e-clip, and then that little thick plastic donut looking washer on top of everything...

i did this for all four carbs.... so, all four carbs are completely rebuilt and have complete stage 3 kits in...

this morning the bike was running, with the old needles in but running... after a couple hours i had put the new dynajet needles in and now the damn thing wont even start... i cant even get it to fire a single cylinder...

ive played with the idle some, choke back and forth, its getting gas like it should, full battery, and i even tried to push start it... NOTHING... not even a single pop...

so what the heck is the deal!? i dont want to put the factory needle in because the bike was running poorly with them, and overheating... but with the dynajet needle in it wont even start! should i move the clip up a couple slots on the needle or what?

if you have any advice on my issue i would greatly appreciate it, i have spent a ton of time and money on this darn bike but nothing wants to work like it should... all i wanna do is ride it around a little before winter...

thank you very much in advance!
    sincerely,
    ~Nathan

Does it have spark? Are the carbs getting filled from the petcock? Did you set the petcock to "Prime" to refill the carbs? Ray.

Comment

yes, yes, and yes... good spark, and fuel is getting through...

i actually have an update though... i got it started, and it idle kindof up and down... it also bogs down and dies if i so much as tweak the throttle...

so what should i do? put the clips and spacers higher up on the needle?

Comment

Have you adjusted the pilot screws for best idle yet?

Comment

Hi,

You didn't mention it so let me ask, did the Dynojet instructions call for drilling the slides? It sure sounds like you've got some kind of major air leak or lean condition. Are the diaphragms loose? Is there a leak in the vacuum hose to the petcock?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Did you change the o-rings on the intake manifolds?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Going crazy!

this is driving me absolutely INSANE! im getting to the limits of my frustration...

i have COMPLETELY broken down, dipped, and rebuilt the carbs, new o-rings, gaskets, and a stage 3 dynajet kit... installed by the book...(except for the needles) the bike was running a little lean a couple weeks ago and idleing very high, so i figured i would put the dyna-jet needles in like recommended and it would fix the problem...

Nope... now the bike runs even worse... i can barely get it to start and when it does it will barely idle... the idle bounces around and i cant get it to stay running without the choke... (It wants to die when i turn the choke off) even after it has warmed up...

also, the headers have greatly diff. temps... with a pattern... pipe #1 (far left) is warm but not really hot... where as pipe#4 (far right) is so damn hot you can barely touch it... pipe #2 is pretty hot, and pipe #3 is Hot... it has an increasing temp as it goes across the engine...

i have NOT replaced the intake boots or intake boot o-rings, but they are in good shape, the rubber is nice and soft... and again, a couple weeks ago it ran smooth... just a little hot, exhaust popping, and high idle... but consistent...

the vacum hose to the petcock is BRAND new and tight... the dynajet kit did call for drilling the slides so thats what i did... i was careful when doing so... i followed the angle that the holes have... the diaphrams are not loose and have no tears, they are in good shape...

when it FINALLY does somewhat start to idle... (never smoothly)... i cant so much as touch the throttle without it dying... so basically all it will do is EVENTUALLY idle like crap and then i cant even touch the throttle...

is my mixture lean? rich? do i have an air leak? or is it flooding with gas?... im clueless at this point because ive done everything i should have... and its running worse than ever...

one last thing... i AM correct in assuming that putting the dynajet needles in should enrich the mixture correct? my problem was it was too lean before... so why is it running worse now when it should be running better?

im about to say the hell with it and sell this thing as a project because i dont know what else to do with it... please if you have any advice let me know, because at the moment im completely frustrated with the thing...
              Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Why not put it back the way it was before and adjust the fuel mixtures properly then..I mean all this Stage 3 kit stuff, to me, is just a bunch of uselessness. the bike was designed with its original carbs configured to the best scenario..I follow the if its not broke dont fix it theory.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What do the plugs look like?
                  Have you changed them to see if they have an effect on it? Did I miss this step?

Daniel

Comment

What do you mean open exhaust? As in no pipes at all like a bugatti e type?

Comment

Stage 3 kit is a bit severe to begin with and doesn't make for a very streetable bike. Add open pipes and pods and you have a motor that's not gonna be happy at low revs and small throttle openings. It's never gonna idle like a stock bike.

Comment

I also agree with Chuck.
                        Start where it was running and work from there again.
                        Changing too many things at one time makes it difficult to see what caused what.
                        I also do not use pre-packaged jet kits for any of my bikes. Every engine is different even the same models/same year.

Daniel

Comment

alrighty well i did what i could with what i had... when i got the bike it was a project... it didnt have an airbox and the exhaust baffles werent even there... basically just a megaphone where the muffler should be... so i cut the "megaphone off, put a tip on it... and bought pods... i changed all the fluids... new spark plugs, and 110% rebuilt the carbs... and did what i THOUGHT i was supposed to do... put a stage 3 dynajet in...

so here's the deal... the best i have been able to get it to run was when i had the stage 3 kit installed MINUS the dynajet needles... i had the factory needles in... it would start easy and run consistently... but consistently hot, alot of exhaust popping, and high idled (it idled high even with the screw backed all the way out...

SO... if i put the stock needles back in what should be my next move in trying to get it to run correctly???

and i DO realize it will never run like it should... i accept that... im okay with it being a little tempermental... as long as i can ride it around occasionally i'll be happy...

right now its either one way (DynaJet Needles) :barely idleing
                          or the other way (Factory Needles) : About to burn up

and thank you guys so much for helping me out... im doing what i can with the knowledge i have... but if i have to tear those carbs apart one more time WITHOUT knowing what to do, im going to lose it...

and please dont hate me too much, i may have defiled the setup on my 1100, but the 450 im about to start on is going to be %100 stock! i cant wait to not get headaches about it... thanks again everybody!
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

if anyone has any suggestions as to which direction i should be going in jet sizes, please let me know... i would like to order them ASAP, so i can get some ride time in before winter... i'll order a whole darn range of jets to try out if it saves me some time, but i would like to have a general idea of where to start

Comment

1100 2-valve with pods and the exhaust pipe that is in your album?
                              34CV carbs, right?
                              Your normal riding altitude range?
                              Stock piston compression ratio/ any increase in valve sizes?
                              But, you already drilled the slides?

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X