Carb boot install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb boot install?

'82 1100E, carbs rebuilt, tops and bowls polished, boots removed and inspected for cracks, and believe it or not they look good. So now it's time to put them back on, and I'm not 100% sure how to position the boots.

There are two marked with a L and two with an R, so I'm guessing these are left and right. I can see that they all have a slight bend and that from photos I can tell that the boots should be pointing 'down' if mounted on the carbs while the carbs are level.

The problem is that I'm not sure which side should face the carbs and which side should face the head. One end has little 'dots' molded into the face, and the other has 'Made in Japan' molded around the rim. Anyone know which way these go, or if it even matters?

I tried the search and could come up with it, and looked at my download of the shop manual and there's almost no mention of the boots at all in the carb section or the engine section. I know how tough these are to install, so I want to get it right the first time. As always, thanks for any help.....

Originally posted by kawfeedave View Post
    The problem is that I'm not sure which side should face the carbs and which side should face the head. One end has little 'dots' molded into the face, and the other has 'Made in Japan' molded around the rim. Anyone know which way these go, or if it even matters?
    It does matter which way they go. I can't remember off hand and I'm at work so I can't take a look right now.

If you measure the ID of the boot you will see that there is a definite difference. Match the smaller ID to the boot to the stub on the head and the larger side to the carbs. (If my memory is correct ... please double check this by measuring ..... you want small to small and large to large)

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Oops. My bad.

Comment

It is in the manual -7.22. 'Made in Japan' faces the cylinder head. And left and right are L & R as you guessed.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X