82GS1100GK ~ Simple question about carb boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82GS1100GK ~ Simple question about carb boots

I'm replacing my completely rebuilt carbs, including the boots. I know the boots are left/right specific, but I just noticed that they are also tapered at one end ~ thicker on one side than on the other side.

Am I correct in assuming that they should be aligned with the thin part at bottom, thick part at top?

Yes, this way the carbs are nearly level with the ground when installed.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Yes, this way the carbs are nearly level with the ground when installed.
      I suspect you meant parallel. Just a thought.

Comment

The sychronizer port (allen bolt stuck in there) should face down and out, and all the boots will be parallel.

Comment

On my bike (unless I'm totally mistaken), the synch ports are on the engine, not the boots. The old boots and the new boots I bought have no synch ports built into them.

But regardless, I got it figured out just by putting the narrow part down.

Comment

The synchronizer ports are in the head on an 1100G and a 1000G, not in the boots. On a GS85 they are in the boots, and no doubt in other bikes as well.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
            X