Airbox boot band install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox boot band install?

Hey on my 83 1100 e i'm replacing a damaged boot carb to airbox,and it has a metal one piece band inside. I have the boot installed but can't figure out how to get the band in. I know there has to be a trick to this ,please help thanks

I grabbed one end of the band with a pair of needle-nose pliers, got it into the boot and spun the band into place. Make sense ??
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yeah, to me. I've done it before.

If you curl the band up to a smaller diameter one of the ends will have to overlap the other. Get it started into the boot. Pull on the end that's inside the other and it will drag the whole thing around the inside of the boot. Push in while you're dragging and you can tuck the whole thing in pretty quickly.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The bands I got when I bought new boots from Suzuki were 1 piece and a bear to get in. Try some silicon grease and 2 screwdrivers to work it down in place

Comment

Vaseline is your friend here (just don't admit it....).
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Like Katarat said the band is one piece no break,so i'll try some vaseline but it still doesn't seam like it will fit! Ok no (thats what she said jokes)THANKS

Comment

The old one had a break, the new ones under the revised part number don't. Maybe you can put them in through the back of the airbox.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

We are dealing with rubber parts ! I would use silicon grease, Vaseline could degrade the rubber..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  We are dealing with rubber parts ! I would use silicon grease, Vaseline could degrade the rubber..
                  Good point, I was going to use the vaseline but i saw this just in time i will use the silicon grease Thanks

Comment

Don't worry about vaseline degrading the rubber. You wipe off the excess and then any remainder gets dissolved by the fuel in the VS anyway. The safe thing about using vaseline is it's very low melting point and if it's sucked in to an engine it won't do any harm.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

They wont go in from the back. Get another person to help you, its more then a 2 hand job. I did all 4 by myself but I wouldnt do it again like that. The tricky part by yourself is not slipping with the screw driver & punching a hole in the new boot. I asked if there was a trick to it in the past & everyone said how easy it was. Well trust me, it aint, they are way beyond a tight fit & theres a rib in the boot it has to go past & its 1 piece. I was getting the hang of it at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                        They wont go in from the back. Get another person to help you, its more then a 2 hand job. I did all 4 by myself but I wouldnt do it again like that. The tricky part by yourself is not slipping with the screw driver & punching a hole in the new boot. I asked if there was a trick to it in the past & everyone said how easy it was. Well trust me, it aint, they are way beyond a tight fit & theres a rib in the boot it has to go past & its 1 piece. I was getting the hang of it at the end.
                        Still having problems getting it in .Exactly how did you do it ,start one side in and force the rest in ? press in flat ?how did you use screwdriver,on the lip and kept moving as you go? If i get someone to help is that just to hold the airbox. It seems like it should be a piece of cake ,but it turns out its a very bad piece of cake that you never want to eat agian!

Comment

You have to push both sides evenly or it cocks in the hole as you have no doubt found out 18-20 times. I used some light silicone grease and just kept working them down evenly until they dropped past the lip in place. Its extremely frustrating but after you get the first one the rest will be easier. I wish I knew a short cut but thats all Ive got. They are tight rectaled fit. I thought it was just me at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                            You have to push both sides evenly or it cocks in the hole as you have no doubt found out 18-20 times. I used some light silicone grease and just kept working them down evenly until they dropped past the lip in place. Its extremely frustrating but after you get the first one the rest will be easier. I wish I knew a short cut but thats all Ive got. They are tight rectaled fit. I thought it was just me at the time
                            Its not just you ,i think its a conspiricy by the engineers to drive us crazy!!! I FINALLY GOT IT IN !!! after trying everything with out success i put one side of the band down in the boot (silicone greased)and took a piece of .005 shim in a can i had laying around (metal- thin like paper) cut a piece about less than half of the inside whole of the boot,place it under the high side of the band down past the ridge in the boot.I pushed with screwdrivers and it slid past the ridge,i pulled out the piece of shim and it was pretty close,a little more effort and it was in,still not easy.I hope this helps someone in the future from all the frustration i went through.THANKS

Comment

Whatever works for you, glad you got one in. I hope I never do another set the rest of my life ! I think that once you get one it it helps just knowing they will actually fit in there. I was actually considering having the machinest across the street making me an exact fit aluminum plug to press them in with

Comment

Working...
                              X