1979 gs850 fuel hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850 fuel hoses

i recently purchased a 1979 gs 850 that was not running and had some parts off of it. mainly the fuel tank. my carbs have what seem to be 4 bowl vent hoses on bottom, a main fuel supply hose in center of carbs, 3 other vent hoses on back top of carbs and petcock has 3 hoses coming off of it. larger one i know is supply to carbs, another is vent that goes to air cleaner. where does the other small hose from oetcock go? i have read forums on here but do not find a vac fitting on front of #2 carb for this line. does it go to one of the three vent lines on top rear of carbs?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wringer,

On your carbs there should be 4 individual overflow hoses on the bottom of the carbs. The vacuum port is on the #3 carb and should connect to the smaller port on the petcock (it's a vacuum operated petcock, no "OFF" position). There are two bowl vent hoses that come from nipples between #1-#2 and #3-#4 and hang over the back of the airbox. I'm not familiar with a petcock that has three hoses connected to it. All that I have seen have only a fuel line and a vacuum line. Sorry, I don't have pictures of VM carbs with all the components labeled, only CV carbs. Anyway, you'll find a full factory service manual on my site that you can download. That should answer a few questions.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well thank u for the warm welcome. the third hose is not on petcock but comes off tank to air cleaner housing. now the odd thing is, my tank had 3 hoses and the carbs have 3 different hoses off top of them. i take it this vac for tank was not at all hooked up before i got it. interesting.i just took carbs off to make sure i wasnt missing the vac port for the petcock. found boot from no 1 carb to cyl head torn, literally broken. so i guess i need some new ones before i put it back together. thank u very much.

Comment

Hi,

The fuel tank itself should have a set of wires and an overflow drain hose coming from the fuel gauge send unit, that's it. The wires get connected to the fuel gauge. The drain hose gets routed down past the battery so that it drains to the ground. The hose connected to the top of the airbox is the breather hose which comes from the breather on top of the engine. Have a look at this page but note that it is for CV carbs:

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by wringer View Post
          well thank u for the warm welcome. the third hose is not on petcock but comes off tank to air cleaner housing. now the odd thing is, my tank had 3 hoses and the carbs have 3 different hoses off top of them. i take it this vac for tank was not at all hooked up before i got it. interesting.i just took carbs off to make sure i wasnt missing the vac port for the petcock. found boot from no 1 carb to cyl head torn, literally broken. so i guess i need some new ones before i put it back together. thank u very much.
          Sounds to me like the third hose is the fuel gauge drain. I don't think it hooks up to anything.

EDIT: dang, beat to the punch.

Comment

ok thanks. there is a small port on back of air cleaner so i thought it went there. thank u both for the info.

Comment

ok not to be a pest but. did some more checking and cannot find the vac port for the tank valve. also bike has pull choke on dash that cable is not connected to carb nor is there a spot for it. carbs actually have choke lever on left side. is it possible carbs are from diffrent model or year and that is why im going nuts looking for the vac port on #3 carb for tank valve? my carbs look totatlly different than all the ones i have looked up. they are stamped MIC on the sides and are almost rectangular on top rather than round. please excuse the lack of knowledge, i work on cars for a living. lol

Comment

The carbs that came on that bike should be VM carbs, and they do look a little bit different than the '80 and newer carbs, but look pretty much like any other carb on a four-cylinder GS before '80.

You said there are three hoses on the tops of the carbs. Carb #1 (the one under your clutch hand) should not have one. #2 has the vent hose for carbs 1&2. #3 has the vacuum hose that should be connected to the smaller fitting on the petcock. #4 has the vent hose for carbs 3&4.

Can you get a picture of your carbs? A couple different angles would help considerably.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok. yes. the carb under clutch lever side has no port. the other 3 do all in same location on carbs, i did take some pics with my phone but not sure how to get them on here. appreciate all the advice. i had bike running today but did not connect anything to the vac port on petcock. good sign, it does run.

Comment

Originally posted by wringer View Post
                    ok. yes. the carb under clutch lever side has no port. the other 3 do all in same location on carbs, i did take some pics with my phone but not sure how to get them on here. appreciate all the advice. i had bike running today but did not connect anything to the vac port on petcock. good sign, it does run.
                    Follow whatever your phone manufacturer recommends to get them to your home computer (I use a bluetooth adapter for mine) and then follow the instructions Basscliff lists here to put them up here...

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                    X