Removing intake boots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing intake boots.

Well, I'm wondering if anyone has had issues removing there intake boots. The screws are either badly damaged or in good shape but rusted in very badly. I have the conversion bolts for the Allen heads and new o rings for them but the boots themselves are in good condition. I don't want to ruin any boots trying to heat these bolts and an impact driver doesn't seem to be enough to knock them loose. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For clarification purposes, I am referring to the intake boots between the carbs and the engine.

Comment

First of all, PB Blaster is your friend. I shot mine before I went to work and again when I got home for a few days. Then, I used a pair of needle nose vice grip pliers to grab one of the screw heads and work it back and forth until it loosened. After you get one side off just rotate the boot counter-clockwise and the other should loosen itself up enough to take it out as well.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Or you can use a dremel, cut a long slot, and use a flat blade screwdriver/chisel and a hammer to turn it counterclockwise.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've soaked these screws in enough pb blaster to drown a whale! I've been avoiding taking a dremel to them for fear of busting a head off... *shiver*

Anyone ever use a freezing method before?

Comment

How would that work exactly?

I'm going to be in to that project myself this winter. I tried it once a few years back and gave up as they just wouldn't budge but now I've got some leakage and they have to go.

I'll be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Good luck,
            Spyug

Comment

Let us know how you make out, I am in the same boat. There is not enough room on my bike to get an impact driver in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuitdevotremort View Post
                I've soaked these screws in enough pb blaster to drown a whale! I've been avoiding taking a dremel to them for fear of busting a head off... *shiver*

Don't fear busting a head off. Once you get the boot off the shaft of the screw will have no tension on it and will screw right off with a pair of pliers. In fact this is how I got 75% of the screws off my engine cases.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

I removed mine by using a centre punch - Punch near the outer edge of screw head,then tap anti-clockwise . You may chew up the head slightly ,but in my experience, it rarely fails . Obviously not a method if you are hoping to reuse bolt !

sc

Comment

Small pair of vise grips!! Once you get one of the bolts out You can tap the boot to turn it and loosen the other screw

Comment

Yes, vice grips on the outside screw, then spin entire boot to get the inner screw to turn. All common knowledge available in the archives, just waiting for people to search it out.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                        How would that work exactly?
                        The freezing makes the metal contract and breaks the rust bonds seizing the bolt. I was talking to my old man and apparently he used to use propane (the gas not ignited) to freeze a seized contact in the oil fields.

I purchased a can of CRC Freeze-Off Penetrating Lubricant and used an impact driver. I've removed multiple bolts so far. Had to stop though, seems to be working great though.
                        Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        There is not enough room on my bike to get an impact driver in there.
                        I've actually removed the engine from the frame. I'm doing a build. Perhaps you know someone with some electric or air impact drivers?
                        Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        Once you get one of the bolts out You can tap the boot to turn it and loosen the other screw
                        I've been using this one screw method and turn the boot and it's been working well so far!
                        Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
                        Don't fear busting a head off. Once you get the boot off the shaft of the screw will have no tension on it and will screw right off with a pair of pliers.
                        This is good to know... haha.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll get the rest of these off no problem.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I've mentioned this a number of times before, but no-one seems to want to take my advice on it. Hit the side of the head of the screw with a drift (hardened steel is best), this moves the head sideways slightly and releases the tension and then the screw can be undone without any further trouble.

Think about it. The reason the screws can be undone easily once the heads are removed is because it is not the threads that are binding or rusted, corroded, whatever. It is actually the underside of the head which has locked onto the intake boot surface and once this is moved, even a small amount (a few thou), the seal is broken and the screw can be undone.

This method has never failed me. It has never taken me more than 10 minutes to remove all four intake boot screws. Not to mention all the other screws and bolts I have removed using this method. Penetrating oil is redundant in my garage.

Comment

I've never been given this advice before Don, but I will certainly take it! It's true, I've never really thought about the exact area the bolt is bonded to the block/nut. Usually the internal threading is relatively rust free. I'll keep this in mind for future seized bolts though because the intake boots are off!

Comment

Vise-Grips are your best friend, it is the only way to get them out clean, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X