Removing intake boots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a summary, this was my method;

Soaked overnight with PB Blaster. Spray one bolt on each intake directly for 20 seconds with CRC Freeze-Off Penetrating Lubricant and left to sit for 5 minutes. Then used an impact driver on each nut previously sprayed. After each intake had one nut removed, I rotated the intake back and forth as much as they could travel and then used needle nosed vice grips to turn off the remaining bolt (or tried impact driver again if that didn't work).

Perhaps Don's method would have been much more simple. We'll see next time, eh?

Comment

Here's a question... Sorta off topic of this thread but still in the right area. Haha, well I realized that even with the airbox my carbs had quite a bit of sag going on... switching to pods would mean even less support and only being held up by the intake boots and the pods weighing down the other side. Is there some way to prevent sag? Anybody able to fill my head with a tidbit of knowledge on this?

Comment

Searched the forum and found this thread. Gonna try a few of these tomorrow. Now just need to search how to install my new Progressive shocks.

Comment

I'd try vise-grips first or dremel opposite sides of the bolt more Flat, so I can grab it better with a wrench.
          Then I'd firmly tap the bolt a few times with a small hammer, then try again....

If no-go then, Liquid Wrench and propane torch.
          Which usually starts a small burst fire,lol.

If that doesn't work, I MIG weld it.

If still no-dice, then drill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuitdevotremort View Post
            Here's a question... Sorta off topic of this thread but still in the right area. Haha, well I realized that even with the airbox my carbs had quite a bit of sag going on... switching to pods would mean even less support and only being held up by the intake boots and the pods weighing down the other side. Is there some way to prevent sag? Anybody able to fill my head with a tidbit of knowledge on this?
            I have seen folks fabricate a brace attached to the caps of #2 & #3 up to frame.

Comment

Wow,1_v8_merc, that all kinda seems... over the top. Lol. And it sounds like most of your methods are for removing in order to replace the boots...

Originally posted by keman View Post
              I have seen folks fabricate a brace attached to the caps of #2 & #3 up to frame.
              Hmm... interesting. Maybe I'll look into that. Any idea how they attached the brace to the carbs? Perhaps in a similar fashion as the choke and throttle cable braces on the carbs?

I'm glad my thread could help in some way Hone101! I am actually planning on doing progressive springs, but haven't yet purchased them yet. If I do them soon enough I'll be sure to make a post about it! It will definitely go into my build thread!
              (Shameless self promotion... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=179319)
              Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

I've used that freeze & release stuff before to get head studs out and it works extremely well in general and is super handy when the studs have snapped. Have used it for a few other applications too. As to boots? i was replacing boots & heads, so ended up just taking a hacksaw to the bolt head and got it off any way possible and then soaked the threaded sections with penetrene and then used vicegrips to reef the threaded part out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuitdevotremort View Post

Hmm... interesting. Maybe I'll look into that. Any idea how they attached the brace to the carbs? Perhaps in a similar fashion as the choke and throttle cable braces on the carbs?

Yep, they were attached to the rear inside caps just like the throttle brace up front. Don't know if they used a longer screw or anything other than a rigged brace with a flat washer tacked on for the carb cap screws.

Comment

I'll be spending today getting my intakes off.
                    This thread gave me some needed confidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X