New to me GS750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS750TJIM View Post
    Hooiser, thanks for the reply I think im just going to order 4 carb kits from z1 and take her back to the stock jets. It still has the stock pilot jets in it. Im going to get the valves adjusted properly and double check the charging system and go from there. I do have to say the T drew some attention I took it out for biketoberfest down here and got quite a few thumbs ups you just dont see that many old bikes toolin around down here.
    Is that a 4 into 1.......or 2 on your T? They look aftermarket..

Comment

Yea, yea.... more pics please!

Comment

Hey Hoosier, I was looking at your pics, do you have the part number for the unifilter in your pics? I was thinking of doing something like that. Did you have to rejet the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by chirobo View Post
          Is that a 4 into 1.......or 2 on your T? They look aftermarket..
          To the best of my knowledge it's the stock 4 into 2. It says Suzuki on them. I tore down the carbs completely today gonna take them in to work and put them in the ultrasonic cleaners. I was completely wrong on the jet size, they are all stock 112.5 i couldnt see one of the ones. Also got the valves adjusted up today to .004 although none of them were tight most were loose at .006 to .007.

Comment

Figured I might as well post a pic of my adventures today. Sorry for the crappy Cell phone quality

Comment

I have really wanted to drill out the pipes but I just can't bring myself to do it though.

Comment

Hey Hoosier, I was looking at your pics, do you have the part number for the unifilter in your pics? I was thinking of doing something like that. Did you have to rejet the bike?
                Ha! Found it!!!
                I have been searching all over for the thread where someone (you) asked about the Uni filter. I should have went and got the part # right away and replied... but instead logged off then forgot where I read it.
                Their number on the filter is UP-4245ST Measures 2 1/2" (neck size) x 4" (long). Double layer so the outer is to be oiled. Snugs down enough to fit my air box fine.
                Jetting? I'm not to that point just yet, but am imagining having to step up a size or two and have been reading up on shimming the needle. (mines not adjustable). Easier yet is the Dynajet kit. But I am scraping the bottom of the barrel on bike funds at the moment.
                I will definately keep my build thread updated as soon as I have something worth while to report.
                Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by chirobo View Post
                  I'm planning to change my oil every 1 to 1.5k miles with the Walmart Rotella brand oil made for diesel engines as it has the contents that these engines needed before the formulations were changed for energy saving engines.
                  Why so often?

I think the factory recommends something closer to 2000 miles. If you use the Rotella Synthetic (the blue jug right next to the white one you were talking about), you could also feel comfortable stretching that a bit longer.

Hooiser, thanks for the reply I think im just going to order 4 carb kits from z1 and take her back to the stock jets.
                  Do a little poking around here, you will see that there is a pretty much unanimous opinion here that "carb kits" are JUNK. Even bought from a great retailer like Z1. All you need is a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip (WARNING: it will also remove the paint from your carbs) and a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com. All that is outlined in the Welcome that you just got from BassCliff.

I have really wanted to drill out the pipes but I just can't bring myself to do it though.
                  WHY???
                  It will never be a Harley, so don't even try pretending.

If you simply want more noise, at least let it sound good. Put on a nice header, like a V&H, Kerker, MAC, whatever.

Just be aware that when you do that, you will need to re-jet your carbs for the additional air flow.
                  If you also change to pod filters (even more noise), you will need different jetting for them, too.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Listen to Steve... he is well known for his carb Guru-ness here.
                    Now ask me why I didn't?
                    My stock exhaust was ROTTEN and my Filter box was TOAST. That is why I kept the stock air box and went with the Uni filter instead of Pods. I know I am still going to have to do the jet shuffle, not too intimidated to figure it out... with the help of GSResources that is

Comment

Thanks for letting me know about the filter Hoosier. Steve, no offense but I knew a 4 banger bike would never sound like a V-Twin. I have been the V-twin sport bike route and got my fill of it. I'm more of an inline 4 or parallel twin guy. I ran a D&D system on my old Katana and while it sounded sweet it was just way too loud. I think i'm getting to old for the noise. I wouldn't actually drill the pipes but I would ponder it. What makes the carb kits so bad? Are the gaskets junk or just the jets? I have cleaned up the carbs and did use a few parts from the K&L kits so if you could warn me now so I can take them back apart please.

Comment

Got her back up and running. I didnt get to ride her but i I did get to hear her run again lol. Gonna Sync up the carbs and take her for a spin tomorrow.

Comment

Awesome news!

Comment

Went for a nice 40 mile ride on some backroads down here called the loop and she ran like a champ. Flat spot seems gone, pulls nice and hard to 9500rpm i'm diggin it. Thanks everyone for all your help with getting it going. Just a heads up on the K&L carb kits they seem to be working fine for me so far.

Comment

Steve, I wanted to thank you for reminding me that the bike wasn't my V-twin sportbike. I think I had just gotten used to not having to shift that thing and always having boat loads of power on tap. Once I realized that if i was in 5th at 50 and wanted it to pull hard I needed to gear down I was good to go lol. Can someone please plead with Suzuki to make a new bike similar to these old ones?

Comment

Well guys it seems like i been running the bike a little to hard lately so now im going to have to put new clutch springs in her cause she is slippin on the top end. Also is it normal for the bikes to be really cold natured. Mine doesnt seem to run right till its hit operating temp.

Comment

Working...
                                X