Failed emissions test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed emissions test

So here in AZ, motorcycles have to be emission tested every year and I took my bike in for the first time. I kinda knew that the idle mixture screw and the air mixture screws are a bit off but it seemed to be running better, idle at about 1500rpm (it was at 4000 ) but I took it in anyway. So, after three guys made sure that I had a "real" VIN , they started the test and I had to rev it to 2200-2800rpm because that's what they said my idle should have been. Anyway, I failed and was at 1950 on the hydrocarbons when I shoulda been around 1800 and within range on the carbon monoxide. The manager said that meant I was running lean. I really don't wanna screw this up and I get a free retest within sixty days. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Can you take it to another station?

Your idle "should be at 2200-2800"?

Take a copy of the owner's or service manual to prove them wrong.

High hydrocarbons shows that you are running RICH.

Those clowns don't know what they are talking about, go somewhere else.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Can you take it to another station?

Your idle "should be at 2200-2800"?

Take a copy of the owner's or service manual to prove them wrong.

High hydrocarbons shows that you are running RICH.

Those clowns don't know what they are talking about, go somewhere else.

Well, I know that at least for part of the test, that the computer screen said was "idle test" I had to be between 2200. and 2800. Do you think that if I back the air mixture screws out some more, probably at 2 1/4 turns out now, that'll lean it up enough? Thanks Steve.

Comment

Reminds me of the time Florida had a inspection requirement. Treat motorcycles the same as cars. Even had me put front tire in brake testing rollers, (was a kid then) then speed up to about 20 mph and told me to hit the brake, about went airbourne, and then they said to now go ahead and put your rear wheel on the rollers. Bike about took off out from under me.

I got my sticker though.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I didn't know they had emission specs for old bikes. They were made before any were required

Comment

As I understand it, the state actually put in a waiver request to the EPA to exempt testing motorcycles totally in AZ but it hasn't come back yet. I shoulda figured I was in for it when the three techs didnt believe my VIN. Glad I brought the title too.

Comment

EPA specs came in 1980 it is in the manual.
              Running lean does increase HC

Idle is way way off though. It is crazy off. The test would have to be application specific not for a Hyundai and a diesel rabbit.

Find another spot one wiht a good reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post

Find another spot one wiht a good reputation.
                Those clowns don't know what they are talking about, go somewhere else. - Steve

The only problem with this is that they are all AZ Dept of Environmental Quality. All the clowns belong to the same circus.

Comment

Wow I assumed it was done by contracting garages.

May be of some assistance. You do have an ancient bike that is pe 1980 and should be exempt.

Comment

What happens with strokers over there? They'll never pass under those rules.

No emissions tests for any bikes, new or old, in the UK.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
                      Do you think that if I back the air mixture screws out some more, probably at 2 1/4 turns out now, that'll lean it up enough? Thanks Steve.
                      Just so you know, you don't have "air mixture screws" on your bike.

You have "idle mixture adjustment screws". They control the amount of a pre-mixed ratio of fuel and air, so turning the screws out will RICHEN your idle mixture.

The only problem with this is that they are all AZ Dept of Environmental Quality. All the clowns belong to the same circus.
                      Yeah, but even inside the same tent, different clowns have different tricks.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sometimes you meet a good person.

Those clowns don't know what they are talking about, go somewhere else. - Steve

Yes, because they're political patronage workers, incompetent and arrogant.
                        Back in the 1990's Chicago, I met a lot of incompetent clowns at the test stations, but one year they actually a had young smart manager, who liked and knew something about performance cars! He said he could pick out the sound of my 1970 Vette from the whole crowd of cars lined up.
                        Bill
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Read this post and click on the users name and hunt down the posts where he passed the test. He lives in Glendale and has to pass the test also. He is very knowledgable but a total nut so keep to the technical data.

He just leaned his bike out to the point it would barley run and after adjusted the screws back where he had them. Roy

This is something I learned years ago and I still use it. This is a little "Helper" for jetting carbs. It is a simple scale, that will help you determine what...

Comment

Hi,

A fresh oil change will help clean up your emissions too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just get a fake inspection sticker, lol, jk.

I can't believe they have motorcycle emission tests!
                              That's insanity! As if we don't already have enough problems on public roads!

But seriously if I were you, I'd go Back to that place, bring the paperwork and PROVE those *******s wrong! Are they seriously hitting the pipe!?

Sorry just a little amped up...
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X