Failed emissions test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another post by omr.

It would not hurt to run a treatment of Ringfree through your bike to get the built up carbon deposits out of your top end. You can get it at the yamaha shop. Good stuff. No kidding. After that change the oil and install new plugs and lean the mixture. Then go to another station. Roy

So I'm building my bobber right now and getting close to having to liscense it, I'm in Arizona does anyone know what regulations I have to follow as far as...
    Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies folks! I'm having to get back into the carbs after it was leaking gas so I'm gonna re-check everything and give it another go. GREAT info!

Comment

There are fuel treatments that help beat emissions tests. Running high octane will probably lean it out a bit on its own.

Comment

change the oil and put in new plugs in your bike, don't run magic fluid in your gasoline.

richen up the mixture screws a little..

high CO is too rich
          high HC is fuel contaminated oil from a leaky carb or lean misfire. (unburned fuel)

I dealt with AZ emissions from '94~'03

change the oil, change the plugs may be good enough but you need to burn more HC's or get them out of the engine

what is the limits? 3.5 CO max and 1800 ppm HC ??
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Seeing that the bike is a 79 and emissions for cycles wasnt till 80, i would think you have strong arguement for exemption due to the fact that there werent any 79 requirements and therefore OEM setup shouldnt apply.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My brother had his 1000G fail once. Clean oil and fresh plugs, and a clean and oiled foam filter did the trick.

You may need to look at the Carb Boots and O rings as well.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well, I had the carbs apart for the fourth time, reset float heights, checked needle valves, the whole shebang. Reset the idle screw and ensured gaskets were gasketing, hooked up the tank, no leaks. I took it for a test ride and it actually ran better than I have ever had it going. Smooth easy idle within 1200prms, smooth responsive throttle, I know people could see me smiling under my helmet. So I go out to ride it to work this morning, no leaks in the garage, ride it down the road about 3 miles and it's leaking gas AGAIN from the same carb. Smack on the side of the carb with a small flashlight, nothing. I do believe that the float has a small crack just at the point where the floating part attaches to the "arm" causing it to fill with gas and sink instead of float. I'm gonna get another today at the boneyard and I'll bet that takes care of my gas leak AND the emissions issue. On the bright side, I can take apart my bike like a dang one person pit crew.

Comment

Working...
                X