Will this petcock fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this petcock fit??

The petcock on my 80 gs450 is leaking (surprise surprise). I know the best solution is to buy a new oem one. As we all know they can get pricey. Well I found this one on ebay for a reasonable price:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...3A1123&vxp=mtr

The only thing holding me back is that it specifically lists part #s and model's it fits. It lists a variety of gs450s but not an '80 model and not an "e" model either. Is there a difference at all between models?

I did ask if it is a vacuum petcock, and they quickly replied that it is and asked if I would like to see a photo of the back. Then they sent me this link showing the rear:

Will it work, or do I also need to verify the bolt spacing? Is it 44mm?

Thanks,
    Mitch

Sorry, I tried to put the photo in as a link instead of the huge image.

Comment

Sir-

I did a little ebay research, and found the following petcock available for the '80 Suzuki GS450E: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS450...item27be894fb7

Note the part number on the petcock: 44300-44172. However, in the listing you have shown, the part number does not match what is shown for the '80 GS450E. So, in my opinion, this petcock is not compatible with your bike!

Hope that helps.

-Mac

Comment

Yea, I know the exact part is out there, but the one you found is $30 more than what I had listed. I was just curious if there is a big enough difference between models that I would actually need the exact part number?

I am almost positive the carbs are the same, but is there a big enough difference in the tanks that the bolt spacing would be different?

Does anyone know if petcocks are interchangeable between 450s?

Comment

All that is important is the spacing of the bolt holes. Suzuki had a way of using different part numbers between models for the exact same part. Measure what you need then ask the seller to measure theirs.

Comment

When you measure, measure the OD of the screw holes from one side to the other best using a digital caliper. Then ask the seller to do the same. So much as an 1/8" off could put pressure on the threads, causing a leak.

Comment

I got one of the replacement suzuki petcocks from Z1 (not OEM) look like the pic posted below. The bolt holes lined up but I had to file out the tank opening a bit to accommodate the intake tube. Also I noticed that on the new petcock the vacuum line and fuel line are on the same side-
              When I went to put the tank back on the bike ( a 77 gs400) , it just barely fits- the vacuum nipple is practically touching the frame- not a lot of clearance.
              It works for me, just a little more difficult to maneuver the tank on and off.

Just something to consider.

Comment

Thank you everyone, great advice, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will grab some measurements, and get back in touch with the seller. They have been very quick to respond so far, so that makes me feel more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                X