36mm (GSXR carbs)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36mm (GSXR carbs)?

I tried to find out info from the numbers and was unable to find anything so I am posting pics (went ahead and bought carbs since they fit on). I need adjustable needles for sure and any other advise for tuning. Bad throttle on /off feeliing when going to full throttle in first through 3rd. I can ease into it all the way to redline, slight bobble from 3rd to fourth at full throttle smooth 4th to 5th at full throttle.

I have attached a picture of the carbs I am talking about and have the following info of what i know about these carbs. They are going on an 82 GS1100e with an 1168 kit Wiesco flat top pistons), kerker header with no baffle just end cap drilled. Nothing special.

Previous owner claimed they came off a late eighties GSXR750?????.
    36mm
    semi round flatslide
    Main Jet 112.5 (when purchased) current 145
    needle 5E97
    needle jet???
    pilot jet 15 ( the jet sunk down next to the main jet)
    Starter jet? 47.5 (the jet next to the main jet)
    numbers on carbs 21EG
    T572

82 GS1100e - (1168 kit, GSXR head, Yoshi cams, FCR39's)
    07 hayabusa - lsr bike on nitrous
    78 GS750E
    83 Gs1100E

They look smaller than 36mm. Are you sure their not 34mm? gixxer.com has a carb thread in the oil cooled section, with specs for each carb and corresponding year. Might be worth a look.

Last edited by Carter Turk; 10-19-2011, 11:58 PM.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

These are the 36's that I got from Ukilme. Main jet is a 140.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

CarterTurk I measured the id with calipers and they measured 36mm. The throttle reponse is great it just feels like the needle needs adjusted (violent bucking). That is why I hope someone can help identify so I can get some adjustable needles/kit. My original jetting came from your experience with your bike. I still need to do some plug chops but feel I still may be a little lean.

Niklput those look very similar are you using those on an 1150/1168 and do you know what other settings you have in your carbs?
        78 GS750E
        83 Gs1100E

Comment

I will post more pics this afternoon, I need to get a photobucket account.
          78 GS750E
          83 Gs1100E

Comment

I'll be running an 1168 kit with 1150 cams in a 83 1100E and kirker 4-1 comp. baffled

Haven't set it up yet but i think the mains will be right on, not sure about pilots ( I'll check later today). Needle shimmed slightly.

Your set up should be really close. Main seems about right. Possibly shim/ raise the needle a bit.

I've got a set of 38mm GSXR carbs but they are just a little much for my application.

Look into one of these too: http://www.flo-commander.com/ Pretty trick little system that helps regulate and stabilize air flow and evens out the power/fuel curve.

Thinking of seeing if i can get one for my older CV 34mm carbs as well.

Nic
            Last edited by niclpnut; 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM.
            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Niclpnut, carbs look exactly like mine which came off a 90' gsxr 11. Maybe what you have are 88-89 750, but I couldn't tell from the spec sheet at gixxer.

I have a stumble, I haven't been able to get rid of at slight throttle openings. Usually putting around town at 2800-3000 rpm's. I haven't fussed around much with them in a long while, and am totally guilty of never doing plug chops.

Are you running filters and a pipe?

If his carbs are the same, his pilot jets are huge. I think I have 30's or maybe 32.5's (30 is stock) and 142.5 mains with Factory needles set on the middle clip.

I've been told the emulsion tubes are prone to ovalling out which mine did, and I replaced all of them.

My stumble feels like lean condition, but when I pull on the choke knob it feels worse, so I don't know what the solution is. I thought maybe stuffing velocity stacks out of stock airbox inside the K&N filters would help organize the intake flow at low rpms, but have yet to try that theory.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                I'll be running an 1168 kit with 1150 cams in a 83 1100E and kirker 4-1 comp. baffled

Haven't set it up yet but i think the mains will be right on, not sure about pilots ( I'll check later today). Needle shimmed slightly.

Your set up should be really close. Main seems about right. Possibly shim/ raise the needle a bit.

I've got a set of 38mm GSXR carbs but they are just a little much for my application.

Look into one of these too: http://www.flo-commander.com/ Pretty trick little system that helps regulate and stabilize air flow and evens out the power/fuel curve.

Thinking of seeing if i can get one for my older CV 34mm carbs as well.

Nic

smoke and mirror's...
                don't waste your money.
                IMO...
                all the money people waste on OEM carbs and jetting/jet kits ect..
                they could find a nice set of 36mm radial slides and add 8-10-12-15 horsepower depending on the application.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  smoke and mirror's...
                  don't waste your money.
                  IMO...
                  all the money people waste on OEM carbs and jetting/jet kits ect..
                  they could find a nice set of 36mm radial slides and add 8-10-12-15 horsepower depending on the application.
                  Speaking of which anyone want to trade a set of RS40s for some 36s?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Here are the other pics.

Blowerbike I would love to get a set of 36mm rs's, but the price was right on these (I think, so far). Perhaps in the near future if I can't get anywhere with these.

78 GS750E
                    83 Gs1100E

Comment

I would check the jet needles and needle jets (emulsion tubes) for wear. The plastic slides wear out and hammer the two.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I'll pull them in the morning and get a look. I am sure they are worn, from what i can tell not much has been done to them.
                        78 GS750E
                        83 Gs1100E

Comment

Hi,

Are those "slingshot" carbs? If so, have a look at this pdf file and see if it helps you:

Specs and Cleaning of Slingshot Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks basscliff I am sure this will come in handy as soon as I figure out what these carbs are off of.
                            78 GS750E
                            83 Gs1100E

Comment

I do believe a 89-91 GSXR 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X