Poor running after sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor running after sitting

Well, I started my bike up for the first time since last April. It runs ok and I was able to ride it up and down my road a bit just to see how it was going to run. It does ok, but at around 5K rpm it dies off and doesn't want to rev any higher. It ran incredibly well before sitting, really strong acceleration and constant revs. The only thing that is different is I removed the empty airbox, (it never had a filter from the previous owner) and installed a pair of pods. I put 1K miles on the bike with just the airbox in place, no filter, so could the change to pods make any real difference? Or is the bike just needing to be run a bit after sitting? I dread the thought of a carb rebuild, have black thumbs in that regard, but whatever it needs I want to do so I can ride through the nice Florida winter weather.

Yes the change in pods would make that much difference. Either put the airbox back on or jet for the pods.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Yes the change in pods would make that much difference. Either put the airbox back on or jet for the pods.
      Chef,

What's the thought behind the change from empty airbox to pods being the problem? You're thinking it is too lean now?

Would a plug chop would be the best place for olddaddy to start before swapping out components?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If you put the airbox back on, don't forget to add a filter

Comment

the pilot and main jet air systems draw air from the high vacuum area in the airbox stock.

its normal for them to not run right when you change that. Most people end up with a Dynojet kit before they get it to run correctly with pods.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the advice and benefit of your experience. I only see one kit, a 3113 listed for an 83 GS450. My bike is an 81 so is that going to be an issue? I guess it's time to do the carbs since I'll have them off the bike anyway. Does anyone on the forum do carb rebuilds?

Comment

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey mate, two things...

Firstly, listen to Chef You're gonna need to rejet for sure and I'll be going through this fun/pain once mine's on the road due to my pods and custom pipe.

The only Dynojet kit for ours is a stage 1 which won't help me, not sure if it will help you or not.

Here's my thread on jetting where I found what Mikuni jets are needed for our bikes:

Rapidray also sells adjustable needles that will suit our bikes but in packs of four. I found my carbs already have adjustable needles too.

Secondly, if it's about 5K where it seems to start stumbling, are you sure your advance mechanism is working right? Might want to take that timing cover off and see if it moves freely and springs back in place...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                X