Petcock question...... I searched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock question...... I searched

Is there a popular upgrade for my 1981 GS850 petcock or is a rebuild my only option. as far as a rebuild, can someone point me towards a good walk through for that

thanks

A rebuild is wasted time and money. Success rate is very low. Buy a new OEM tap. And then don't worry bout it for 20 more years.

Comment

Either buy an OEM for a terrible price or get a replacement from Z1enterprizes.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        A rebuild is wasted time and money. Success rate is very low. Buy a new OEM tap. And then don't worry bout it for 20 more years.
        +1 new is the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Either buy an OEM for a terrible price or get a replacement from Z1enterprizes.com
          Unfortunately last I looked on Z1 the petcock designs they carry for the GS only work for the 82 and on models with the small lever. The spout faces to the rear on those bikes as does the petcock z1 carries. The older type face to the front of the bike and there isn't room between the tank and the frame down turn rails to face the petcock to the rear.
          OEM are the only ones I've been able to find in a vacuum style that will work.
          A pingel or simple on off type may work fine and be cheaper... Just don't ever forget to shut it off when the bike is off or you'll have a crankcase full of gas.

Comment

Unfortunately last I looked on Z1 the petcock designs they carry for the GS only work for the 82 and on models with the small lever. The spout faces to the rear on those bikes as does the petcock z1 carries. The older type face to the front of the bike and there isn't room between the tank and the frame down turn rails to face the petcock to the rear.
            A pingel or simple on off type may work fine and be cheaper... Just don't ever forget to shut it off when the bike is off or you'll have a crankcase full of gas.
            Do not ignore this part. It may be cheaper in the short run, but the first time you fill your crankcase with fuel you will be kicking yourself.
            And you also have to remember to turn them on when you are ready to start the engine. You just leave an OEM vacuum petcock in the ON position all the time. Easy peasy.

Comment

Was it the old style petcock like this?
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

The small lever petcocks were adopted in 1981, on most models anyway. Regardless, best to measure the mounting hole center to center distance to be sure the petcock will work.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  Was it the old style petcock like this?
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X%3AIT&vxp=mtr
                  not exactly, both spouts face forward on mine.

So a new OEM one will be vacuum, that sounds sweet, I guess I get those from suzuki??

Comment

Originally posted by MikesChevelle View Post
                    not exactly, both spouts face forward on mine.

So a new OEM one will be vacuum, that sounds sweet, I guess I get those from suzuki??
                    Order it online from an OEM vendor. See BassCliff's list of vendors, go to their websites, and compare prices, shipping included. You will be surprised at the variance of prices for the same part. Also a good time to pick up any assorted OEM parts you may need or want.

Comment

The previous owner installed an in line on/off valve on one of the two fuel line off the PC. I am how ever getting a small leak from either the PC its self or the second line that does not have a valve on it. The leak seems to be an external one and not leaking into the engine (hopefully)

Im sure the answer is to just get a whole new system but just wanted to ask if this should "hold up" for a week or so or should I bench the bike until its fixed

Comment

What you need to do to get the aftermarket petcock to work on a '79:

I think part of the problem is that the kits aren't really put together well. K&L seems to have a philosophy of packaging a bunch of parts that 'kinda sorta' work for most ish models, and vaguely labeling them. Or something....

You can try a kit, if it works it's your cheapest route. You can buy an OEM petcock for most models, for around $70-$80 that will bolt right in. You can buy a Pingel which a lot of people like, but it's not a vacuum petcock and you have to remember to turn it off every time. You can also do what I ended up doing and buy an aftermarket vacuum unit for around $50 from Z-1, which for me required switching the fuel line fitting from the right side to the left (requires a drill bit, a steady hand, a vise, and something like JB Weld to seal the old hole) and filing a fraction of an inch from the pickup tube opening in the tank (using round file) to accommodate the slightly larger non of center fuel pickup.

Here's a link to info/advice and options from Z-1 http://www.z1enterprises.com/reference/petcock.aspx
                        A link to the thread that this post was taken from. It's post number 14. The brilliant one.

OEM is probably ultimately the easiest and most headache route to take, and worth the extra cash over aftermarket - if you HAVE the cash. When I converted mine I had no cash, and an aftermarket unit already sitting in front of me. With my memory the way it isn't, I'd never use a Pingel.
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          The small lever petcocks were adopted in 1981, on most models anyway. Regardless, best to measure the mounting hole center to center distance to be sure the petcock will work.
                          Good to know. Never owned an 81 of any model. Had 80s (old style) and 82s and beyond (new style) so was sure by 82 they'd all switched.
                          The pic he has show later is definitely old style.
                          Just be glad you don't have that silly '80 "no lever" one. What a goofy idea.

Comment

The exception with petcock styles mentioned above is, of course, the model the o.p. is talking about.

The 19080-1981 GS850G and GS1000G models retained the old style, large lever petcocks. I've never found an aftermarket source for these, and they are big $$$$ from Suzuki.

I found an NOS one on ebay for $40, so I bought it for a spare. These go for $80-$90 from a Suzuki dealer.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I apologize for my confusion, but what do i need for a 81 GS850, there seem to be many options

Comment

Working...
                              X