oil has gas smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil has gas smell

My bike has alot of oil in it it smells like gas also. I noticed that the petcock was in between prime and on would that allow the gas to run into the oil. When i was running it oil gas mixture was comming out of the air box and out of the vent tubes onto my header and onto the tire. I replaced the petcock a few months ago with a new oe petcock so i dont think it is leaking.

The most likely culprit is one or more stuck float valves, a.k.a. needle and seat.
    You need to pull the carbs, remove each float, remove the needle, clean the needle and the seat, reinstall and bench test prior to installing on the bike.

Comment

I have just rebuilt the carbs according to basecliffs site about a month ago.

Comment

I know some of the bikes have a warning in the owners manual about leaving the bike's Petcock on Prime. Should it sit for awhile it states it could allow the carbs to overflow. I know this to be the case with the '82 GS1100E and GS1000E I have, especially if the bike is left on the sidestand, carb floats pushing up on carb shut off valve at an angle and may bind not shutting off fuel.
        If your bike was left on Prime that could well be the case, the petcock is easy enough to check though.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

You are correct on that.If airbox has rubber drain tube,drain it,open up box remove,dry out or replace(better) filter.Air that machine outside,allow the residule gas to vaporize away,give it lots of time to do so.As you know,drain contaminated oil/fuel mix.replace oil filter.Triple check petcock etc. I left mine on prime recently also,good you caught situation.My machine recovered ok. hope yours does same.

Comment

Thanks i will check the air box and filter and let it air out and wiil change the oil and filter also. The bike was on the side stand for about aweek and a half without moving

Comment

I think that the "in between" positioning could have allowed the fuel to seep past the normal shutoff it would have been if in the full on position. If its really cold and damp out and your not gonna be riding for a while, then disconnect the fuel line to the carbs at the tank. Run a length of hose down to a clear jar or a clear pop bottle and put the petcock in the ON position. Let it sit a few days and go back to see if any gas has gotten to the container. If not, then the petcock is good..if so then youve found the problem.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If any doubt re:air cleaner material replace/change it.Don't want it to deteriotate in future.crumble/flake off and enter nice good clean carbs and cause running problems,maybe be overcautious, but here I might be inclined.Chuck's idea/plan real good.

Comment

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
                  I have just rebuilt the carbs according to basecliffs site about a month ago.

There is nothing wrong with Cliff's suggestions. They are all VERY good.

That said, floats that work well when a bike is upright, may encounter some sticking or otherwise fail to seat fully when the bike is on the sidestand. This allows gas to overflow the float bowl, get through the carbs, and into the engine where it simply runs downhill to the oil sump

You should NOT try to run the engine or even turn it over at all, as the excess liquid in the sump can cause other problems and damage the engine..

Drain it completely, change the filter and re-fill it with fresh oil.

The old/contaminated oil cannot be re-used.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Liked the pop bottle ,like Cliff more than needs saying,or I will if needed.if you talking to me.Doesn't matter what I like anyhow.not about anyone,only posted problem/question.I am nobody,no GSR superstar,not on totempole.Sorry chris,if I spoiled your post,am sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X