Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very hard cold start, worse when left longer

Hi,
    My 82 GK 1100 is hard to start when left sitting more than a day or so. I havnt changed anything on it, so I assume that the original vacuum fuel shutoff is still there. The problem gets progressively worse, the colder it gets, and the longer that it sits. Using the choke, or I assume the enrichment device, doesnt seem to help much. Once the bike fires though, the engine runs on about two cylinders, then after about thirty seconds, maybe less starts to fire on all four and once its ridden more than one minute, seems to run fine. Can you get me started on things to look at ? I do have a haynes manual for the bike.

When was the last time you personally dipped each carb for 24 hours ensuring all the jets and passages were cleaned? When was the last valve adjustment done? Have you followed all the recommended maintenance procedures you were told about when Basscliff gave you your welcome last year?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

We just had another thread close to the same description... Try this...

Before you start the bike, turn the petcock to Prime for about 30 seconds. Turn it back to ON, pull the choke on, and start the bike.

What hapens is that the gas in the carbs eveporates when the bike sits for more than a day or two. It's common, and there is nothing to repair.

VERY IMPORTANT that you do not run the bike with the petcock in prime, or leave it parked in prime.

Comment

Hi,

What maintenance have you done for the bike? Properly cleaned carbs, a healthy electrical system, and well-adjusted valves will let your bike start with a flick of the starter button (plus some choke ).

For some reason, the GS series of bikes have a reputation of being "cold-blooded". This is not true. A properly maintained GS will start with the slightest t...

If you need instruction, see my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hard cold starting is a classic symptom of very tight valves, especially the intakes.

Looking back through your first few posts, it appears that you have only had this bike since May. Has it always been hard to start or has it been getting progressively worse?

If you have been riding it somewhat regularly, it might not be dirty carbs, although if you haven't done the full "strip and dip" cleaning, it won't hurt.

In your first post (back in May), you said something about having "TSCC" on the covers. Have you figured that one out yet? You also said something about it being shaft-driven. There were no shafties that had TSCC, so it's important to know which one you really have.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

no TSCC, its shaft drive

Hi,

I guess my statement re tscc, was an error, I assume that was actually before I bought it. Its been starting this way, since I bought it, but sitting longer due to other factors, and cold weather setting in. No maintenance has been done by me on this bike other than changing front brake fluid yesterday. I will try the prime petcock first, but have to do the valves. I have put a half can of seafoam in it a month or so ago. I have too many bikes, ride each one too little, woe is me. Thanks, I will report back as I do the work one thing at a time to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by banditom View Post
              Hi,

I have too many bikes, ride each one too little, woe is me.
              Ain't life a biotch!
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How old is the battery ? A marginal battery could cause a weak spark. Have you checked the voltage at the coils ??

Comment

battery is very strong, clutch interlock problem

I would have thought the batt would go south relatively quickly, but it was new when I bought the bike, and cranks very very well. I will check the voltage at this point since its been recharged even though it didnt seem to need it.

What started this thing, the long sit, was due to apparently the clutch starter interlock isnt right. I had no start action whatsoever for about the last month. The lights all work fine. I took the interlock apart, and cleaned the contact til it was real bright. I think there may be a missing spring though at this point, it seemed that something was lost when I took the switch apart but I could NOT find anything when looking. After going over the manual, haynes, there was some indication that there may be a spring and positioner for the brake light switch, which has an almost identical look to this interlock switch. I was able to get the starter to spin, when I jumped twelve volts to the one side of the switch, but the other wire, has NO juice in it at all.

After perusing the haynes, it appears that this clutch interlock wire goes to the starter button, the other makes the trip to the starter relay. Since the starter turn s over fine when twelve volts is jumped to that side of the interlock, I assume that the starter relay and the starter are fine. So, the problem must be upstream of the clutch interlock is all I can figure. I will take the starter button setup apart and clean it, and see if there is juice there on either side of it, but the haynes is NOT showing any connection from the starter button to anything that would appear to be carrying twelve volts, is this a fault of the manual, or maybe someone can advise me on this. I looked a few weeks ago, and found a thread on clutch interlock problems, but cant find it again, can anyone point me to the right thread for that. I know there are a lot of Q s here, thanks in advance, and will surely let you all know whats up when I locate the problem.

Comment

A lot of us remove the clutch interlock switch. Suzuki wired to so it's easy, just plug the male connector into the female in there behind the headlight and you are in. Might make your troubleshooting easier. Some nanny state types will surely spout off about how the world will end if you do this but it works pretty well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

appreciate the quick reply, anyone else

appreciate the quick reply, anyone else, I am always wary to be tearing into other areas of the thirty year old bikes, since it seems every time I do so, I end up with a days work, due to something else falling apart, but will do what you suggested.

Comment

to let youz know

Indeed, it is the clutch interlock, it was bypassed and now works fine, except for the missing interlock. I did find that the magic method to get it to start cold better , was to prime it first with the fuel for fifteen secs and it starts up well, at least today, will leave it sit for a few days and see if that stays cured too. The battery is strong, but I am going to run a ground wire between the RRground and the ground of the battery as you all seem to suggest,, just in case. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the quick help even though it took me a couple of weeks to get to it. Its kind of frosty here now, the season is mostly over but I intend to ride the gk every couple of weeks when there is a dry day during the winter. Thanks again.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot some words

Comment

Working...
                        X