Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking float

Hiya folks,

Is there any way to fix a leaking float? I have one float that continues to fill up with gas when it sits overnight. I tried to use a commercial fuel tank repair kit epoxy but even after it cured 24 hours, it melted (best way I can describe it) after being in fuel for a couple days, causing my float to sink... AGAIN. Can this be soldered, brazed, duct-taped, bubble-gummed??? Thank you so much.

only sure way to fix it is to buy a new float really, or source a good second hand one
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Is it a plastic or a metal float? if it is plastic then in theory once all epoxy is cleaned off, you could try and use a product like plastex to reseal it. If it is made from metal (likely steel or tin) then you should be able to solder/braze it to fix it up.

Just remember to make sure all the residue of the epoxy is gone, lest it catch up in the plumbing and royally make a mess, especially if it manages to cure in there.

Comment

Hi,

If all else fails, partsnmore.com may have a float that's not too unreasonably priced.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

im having the same problem any one got a float for a 77 gs550

Comment

I have three or four brass floats floating around (no pun intended). Do me a favor and measure the length of the pin runner (the tube the float pin goes through on the float) so I can be sure these will work for you.

If they will, $10 shipped each to whomever needs em for as long as I have em.

Comment

Working...
            X