82 GS1100GK ~ All them carb hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GK ~ All them carb hoses

BikeCliff's PDF "Where do these hoses go?" was a HUGE help in getting my newly rebuilt carbs back on the bike.

However, forgive me asking what is probably a dumb question, but I want to be sure.

The two vent hoses....

By "vent" I assume that means that one end of the hose is left open, NOT connected to anything else, right? Just hanging down behind the airbox?

You are correct.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

This hose is supposed to end up near the intake to your air filter. The purpose is to balance the air pressure at the intake end with the vacuum of the engine, and this air pressure difference is what pressurizes your diaphragms and causes the slides to lift.

Sometimes you will get a problem when someone has installed pod filters and removed the air box. Stock, the airbox is supposed to be located where there is high pressure air, allowing for the aerodynamics of the motorcycle when moving. Unfortunately, right behind the engine is one of the worst places to pick up air, as it is a place of low pressure and high turbulence behind a 4-cylinder longitudinal engine. Ending it there can lead to erratic behavior. I still run my hose back up below the seat.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X