Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock or Vac Leak?

Morning!!

This is my first post to this site after hours of perusing BassCliff's site worth of tons of good info. After cleaning/dipping carbs, boot rings on the way, plugs new, oil etc. etc., i have noticed that the #3 cylinder isnt firing off, 1,2, and 4 are. #3 plug is wet and clean. I pulled the vac line from the petcock off the #3 carb, and the cylinder fires off and all is well.
    With the line back on, #3 goes cold again. Floats are ok and within spec, no overflowing at any of the carbs. I did notice a drop or two of fuel at the vac line from the petcock, but the#3 cylinder wasn't running rich, it just wasnt firing off, Spark present, plug ok. Does pulling the vac line from the #3 carb lean out the mixture and allow combustion? I would think if it was a typical petcock issue i would have overflow or hard starting on all cylinders? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Petcock has only On and RESERVE, no prime.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM. Reason: more info

Surprised that you have spark on that No. 3 plug, if it's cold and plug is wet. Is the spark weak?

You should also check the timing to see if you are getting a mix of weak/late spark that allows 2 to fire but 3 not to.

Comment

Timing is ok, just found it strange to have the cylinder fire of when the vac line is pulled, but not when it is put back on. I still have several other maintenance issues to complete after bringing it home from the PO, but wanted to get the #3 cylinder firing b4 i moved on.

Comment

Hi Mr. Talonrcn,

It kind of sounds like you have a bad petcock. It's not good to have fuel in the vacuum line. That means the petcock is leaking and can drown the spark plug, leak gasoline through the cylinder into the crankcase, and dilute the oil. I know petcocks are not cheap, but you really do want to have one that works correctly.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Recently my petcock failed; It leaked down vacuum line but only when bike ran, fouling plug and behaving badly at low rpms. I have a prime position so I was able to block the line off and keep going . In your case, you should opt for a new petcock, as the rebuild kits don't get rave reviews.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X