Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26's on '79 GS400L

Hello All,

I have a '79 GS400L (Canadian model) that I am oh so slowly converting to a stripped down cafe-ish bike. I want to run K&N filters as I have had great success with them on my '78 KZ650, but I don't want to mess with the CV carbs on the GS. Let me head some of the replies off: I know the CV and airbox will give me better results, and that's ok.

I see that the earlier GS750's came with VM26's. From what I understand the GS400 motor is little more than a GS750 motor less the outboard pistons and with a slight overbore. Is there any reason why I can't take a rack of VM26's for a 750, remove the 1 and 4 carbs and put them on my GS400? I suppose I would need the proper VM intake rubbers but they should be readily available (I got them for my KZ). Will they bolt on the GS head?

I've got a fair bit of experience with the VM26 carb, having rebuilt a rack this spring and assembled them about a billion times getting everything just right. They don't concern me. I just don't want to buy a rack of 4 to find out they don't fit I am familiar with jetting and yes, I do not mind that I am going to spend a few weekends screwing around with jetting.

Cheers!
    Andy

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Andy,

I've never heard of such a configuration, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. The spacing will be the important factor. If you're handy with a wrench and have a fair amount of fabrication and modification skills, I'm sure you can do it. Be sure to document your adventure and share it with us.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It would work but that'll need a lot of messing around - not as easy as grabbing #1 and #4 and plumbing them in - don't forget about all the linkages that will need to be shortened / fabbed.

Far easier to get a couple of VM26s like these:

and just link them together with a 2-1 throttle cable. You'll need to get the type without the flanges of course.

(don't pay that money for a carb though - they can be picked up a lot cheaper than that)
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
        I have the opportunity to pick up TWO racks of VM26's for next to nothing, so... I might just walk down that road a ways to see where it goes.

Comment

And for the record, the intakes on the GS400 are much further apart than on GS750 or KZ650.

Comment

Considering TM28's for the job now. Anyone have experience with these flat slide carbs?

is a 28 flat slide too much for a 65x60 bore and stroke, i.e. 200 cc per carb?
            I think 24's are too small or I'd use the vm24's off my KZ650, and they don't make a 26 flat slide.

Comment

Working...
            X