Float height problem i think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float height problem i think?

1981 GS550L. my float height was set too low and it was running very rich and fouling plugs. now i set them to .9 inch(my vernier caliper is in standard units) now it only runs on choke. and no its not the pilot jet i cleaned these carbs very well. i think i reset the floats too high but just wanted to hear what you all had to add. im really dreading taking these things off again

Originally posted by Jeepin it real View Post
    1981 GS550L. my float height was set too low and it was running very rich and fouling plugs. now i set them to .9 inch(my vernier caliper is in standard units) now it only runs on choke. and no its not the pilot jet i cleaned these carbs very well. i think i reset the floats too high but just wanted to hear what you all had to add. im really dreading taking these things off again
    A few of things come to mind.

Your new float levels are set in the middle of the recommended levels for CV carbs (21.4 -23.4mm). This figure is set without the bowl gasket in place.

Have you re-adjusted the fuel and air screws since changing the float heights? If you leaned them off while trying get it running right with the old float levels, you will now need to enrich their positions.

Make sure that the float needles are lightly seating when you set the float levels.

Is it possible that your original float levels were compensating for air leaks in your induction system? Have you checked the condition of your intake boots, o rings, air box seals? What's the condition of your air filter?
    Last edited by 49er; 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Hi,

Click Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs.

The float height spec for your bike is 22.4mm (+/- 1mm) but it usually works best if you can set them right in the middle of the spec.

Measure without the float bowl gasket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hello,

I have a set of carbs for my GS450 stripped for cleaning and I'd like to set the float height. The manual (250 and 400 modells with an appendix for 450) says 22.4mm. This is in line with the carb spec xls file i found here, however the manual shows the height measured on the flat top of the plastic floats and i have brass round floats, like on this picture:

Also, I have 4C3 jet needle. On the spec file from bikecliff It says (under GS450 US, the first one) it should have 4C2...

So I'm a bit lost what kind of carbs I've got.

Either way, am I ok with measuring the float height on the top of the barrels? I have 22.5mm withouth gasket, so it should do, right?

Thank you!
        Z

Comment

Working...
        X