Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS750t Airbox/Carbs...putting it back together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750t Airbox/Carbs...putting it back together?

Hi,
    I recently became the proud owner of a '82 GS750t. Long story short, I thought it ran good, engine sounded awesome, and everything was great.

Checking things over, I noticed the Airbox boots were not connected to the carbs...none of them. I loosen the clamps and try to connect them but have no luck.

I then take off the seat, tank, air filter box and battery. I still cannot get the airbox boots to connect to the carburetors.

I now have the carbs completely off, convinced that the airbox is supposed to be connected to the carbs and then installed together. The boots will not go on the carbs, no matter how hard I try.

I know I have a lot of work to do on this bike, I have read BikeCliff's list and plan on doing those items. However, after dropping more money than I probably should have on this bike, I'm a few weeks away from being able to put any money into new airbox boots, rings and clamps (Which are running me ~$160 before shipping at http://www.gssuzuki.com. That's replacing 4 boots, 4 pipes, 12 clamps, Oil Filter and O Ring...sound right?)

I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong with putting this back together? Is it because I need to replace the boots/pipes? They do not have cracks or look worn. What is the correct procedure to putting all of this back together? (My model doesn't have the Carb intake boots...they are just pipes that connect the intake to the carbs, if that makes any sense.)

Thanks for your time...I know I'm pretty stupid when it comes to some things, so you don't have to sugar coat it if I am doing/have done something really ignorant.

Try warming them up with a hair dryer. OR put an electric heater in front of them for an hour. NOT too close

Comment

Thanks...I'll try that.

Ok...from what I've read, the correct order to put this back together is: Carb intake pipes on, Airbox in, then put the carbs in.

Is this what I'm supposed to do or should I get the Airbox on the carbs and put that in together?
      Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I'm really frustrated. I can't get my carbs mounted back. My new question...if I can get an answer, is will replacing the pipes and boots that connect to the carbs make this process easier? After inspecting the rubber pipes I realized that they are cracked. The Airbox boots were more pliable after I warmed them up with a blow dryer and, for the most part, went back on the carbs outside of the bike, but I can't fit the carbs back in the bike. Is there a trick to putting these back in?

So, my situation is:
        carbs are out of the bike and I have real concerns about getting them back in.
        rubber pipes are cracked and need replaced
        airbox boots are hard and difficult to connect to carbs

What other suggestions do you guys have for me? I'm sure I'll be dropping ~$160 on new rubber pipes/boots for this. Anything else I need to do/buy?

Sorry to vent, but I really don't care to do the work to make this bike what it can be, but I guess I'm questioning my ability right now.

Comment

I understand your frustation. If you think pods were created for performance, think again . Take a look around a little on this site and you'll see that everyone with a stock airbox, and I mean everyone, has struggled with mounting the carbs. Some bikes are worse than others...I think my T model is worse than the E.

It's been a while, but here's how I recall finally getting mine back on....
          First, send all family and young children out i\of hearing range...
          With carbs out...
          Put airbox in place, loosely, there are two bolts holding it. Loosen those and you can get a little extra room...
          Mount the intake boots (or pipes) on the head..
          Make sure the clamps are in place but loose, pushed back out of the way...
          Take a break...
          Slide the carbs in from the right (that was easiest IIRC), tilted with the air box side down, head side up...
          ATTACH THROTTLE AND CHOKE CABLES...
          IF the clutch cable is on the bike, slip it between the #1 and #2 Carb...
          Feed Carb outlet into head pipes..
          Rotate the back of the cab up and into the airbox boots...
          Take a break (usually lots of cussin' and fussin' around this time )
          Push the airbox forward (some suggest using a blunt object fed through the air filter connection to help seat the airbox boots...
          Tighten all connection clamps...
          Tighten the two airbox mounting bolts...
          Allow family and small children to return.

The message is, you can do it. It ain't fun, but it'll be worth it. Others may come along with a different method. A lot depends on the condition of the rubber parts, and your determination.

Good Luck.
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Silicone lube is your friend...use liberally either on the boots or on the outside of the carb throats. I know I can wiggle the carbs back and forth and just slide them past the carb boots until they line up with the intakes

Where are you getting stuck in the process? The airbox boots have an orientation to them that makes the seal on the #1 and #4 work. On my 650, they have to be within an 1/8th of a rotation of the boots to work.

I agree with everything 81ZUKI75 says but have a minor difference in what I do.

I put the carbs in the airbox side first, clamping them in and then moving the whole unit forward into the head boots with the airbox loose works well.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for the words of confidence. I have looked around the site, but I guess not well enough to notice the problems others have had. I really appreciate the step-by-step on how you put yours back together, 81ZUKI75.

I've decided I'm going to go ahead and replace the rubber parts...lots of cracks on the intake side and stiff and shrunken on the airbox side. I'll probably have to wait until next month to order the boots/pipes/etc, but I'll update this thread then. It's all about getting this beast ready to ride in the spring now.

Feel free to add any other tips and suggestions. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X