Quick question about sealing airbox...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about sealing airbox...

I've sealed the crap out of my airbox...
    1) removed all old foam sealing
    2) weather stripping between filter cage and airbox ceiling.
    3) weather stripping on both side covers
    4) filled gap in the hole at the bottom where the drain hose exits (used blue rtv)

Question:
    I noticed two sets of vent holes at the bottom of the airbox. Is there supposed to be some type of filter in or around them?

Hi,

I don't have vent holes on the bottom of my airbox. Everything is sealed except for the snorkel in the back. You'll find pictures in two articles on my website, Air Intake Repair and Airbox Sealing.

Does it look like a previous owner drilled your airbox?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

They look very very stock. If you look closely slightly South West of dead center of the picture you'll see four neatly placed holes. There is another set in the same location but on the other side of the box so two sets of holes. Couldn't get them in the same photo. On the inside of the box there is a raised bracket about an inch or two wide that covers each set of holes which I presume protects them from getting clogged.....or....perhaps holds some kind of filter in place. It seems illogical to seal up the airbox only to leave those gaping holes open. What do you think?

Anyway considering the dramatic improvement after sealing my airbox I didn't want to leave that seemingly small question unanswered.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

It's hard to tell from that angle, but those looks drilled out to me. Can you post a picture of the inside of the airbox?

BTW...what bike are you running?

Venice...I was through there a couple of Christmases ago. Nice town, very laid-back feeling to the place. Seemed like there were more than a few misplaced Canucks in the area.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It's factory. Trust me. They are perfectly spaced and nobody would put brackets on the inside if it was a mod. It's way to perfect not to be factory.

I'm running a 1982 GS850GL

Comment

Inside picture.

Found a picture on the internet of the same design from the inside.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I don't have vent holes on the bottom of my airbox. Everything is sealed except for the snorkel in the back. You'll find pictures in two articles on my website, Air Intake Repair and Airbox Sealing.

Does it look like a previous owner drilled your airbox?

BassCliff
              I'm just starting to learn all the quirks of the different models, but I do remember reading something about this on another thread.

Did some of the 850s have the igniter mounted on the bottom of the airbox like the 550?
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Hi,

I've never noticed those holes in my airbox. I'll have to take a closer look.

BassCliff

Comment

I see what you mean...seeing as how the whole system is very sensitive to airflow, I'd bet they are meant to be there as is, and the brackets are there to split the air to make it more even in the breather box. Strange that there wouldn't be a filter on it if that is the case.

From this parts diagram:

it looks like your air filter sits on top of those brackets. If I'm reading this right, your airbox snorkel exits out the top.

shot in the dark:

To suck air in, there needs to be a lower air pressure in the airbox. Perhaps there is just enough air rushing past those holes to lower the pressure a smidge...
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Hi,

Just to let you know, I was working on my bike this weekend and, sure enough, there are holes on the bottom of my airbox. I've never noticed them before. They certainly seem to be stock, just covered on the inside but not with a screen or filter. That air gets filtered by the air filter. I took a picture too.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Just to let you know, I was working on my bike this weekend and, sure enough, there are holes on the bottom of my airbox. I've never noticed them before. They certainly seem to be stock, just covered on the inside but not with a screen or filter. That air gets filtered by the air filter.

BassCliff
                      The 650 has one airbox drain hole on battery side- I figured it was just in case you were riding in a heavy downpour the excess water could drain out.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I asked this same question a while back and they are suppose to be there and not covered up or filtered additionally. My box has a drain on one end as well. terrylee

Comment

great. thanks!

Comment

My box is the same. I assume this is just a secondary location for air to come in. Maybe the snorkel doesn't provide enough flow.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X