82 GS1100E One header pipe got red hot out of the four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E One header pipe got red hot out of the four

Just started up my bike with the choke on and then lowered the choke down to about 3k rpm and went in to get my registration and helmet, took a little longer then i thought maybe 3-4 minutes and came back out the choke rpm had climbed back up to around 4k rpm and i noticed the second to the left side header pipe was a little red as in red hot! None of the other pipes were red or even have any blueing on them, any idea what the deal is?

Thanks for input
    1982 GS1100E 1983 GS1100E

4 minutes at over 3K to 4K rpm, yes I guess it got a little hot!
    As soon as mine starts it jumps up to about 3K and I start quickly I might add, lower it to the lowest level it runs smooth at no more than 2K, then slowly take it down to 1.5K and let it run with the choke barely on until the motor warm up.
    Those GS1100 pipes heat up more quickly than say my GS1000, might be the 4 valve head on the 1100.

As for 1 header heating up, could be an exhaust valve not closing all the way.
    Try starting it and letting it warm up in a normal way and see what it does.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Ya i know it was a mistake and i feel like an idiot, i was just being honest and more curious as to why only 1 header turned red and none of the others did at all, also i noticed a little more heat steam coming out of the exhaust on the side of the header that turned red then the other side if that helps?
      My first guess was maybe the carb to that cylinder and header has some blocked jet or just running lean on that cylinder?

Comment

I used my InfraRed camera to check mine a few times... but without that luxury I just grabbed them each with my hands until they got too hot... you will be able to tell fairly well by touch which ones are getting hot quickly and which are not. Or find someone with an IR camera or even an IR thermometer..

Comment

I use one of those little fit in the pocket press the button and shoot thermometers, but quite frankly those pipes are all over the place as far as temps go.
          But I would think a red hot pipe would have some bluing to it. A very lean
          condition could do that as well as a exhaust valve not seating or somewhat open from being adjusted too tight.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

First thing I would do is adjust the valves. Anything you do before that is guesswork.

Comment

Thanks guys, valve adjustment and carb cleaning this winter.

Comment

You might have had something blocking a fuel port making it run lean, but you also might have terribly mis-synchronized carbs, and only one of them was doing the work.

I know how you feel, though, this was my son's bike when we brought it home a few years ago.

It would only run on "choke", so I had it running at about 4k to do some stator checks.
                My son got my attention and I shut it down before the stator checks were complete.

About a week later, after installing a new head, valve adjustment and carb cleaning, it ran a bit better.
                (Please ignore the leaking exhaust gasket, it got replaced the next day.)

Yes, the engine was cold, and yes, I was able to turn the "choke" off that soon after starting it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All I can say is WOW! That's strangely impressive....on some one Else's bike..of course.
                  http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                  1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I know how you feel, though, this was my son's bike when we brought it home a few years ago.

WOW! I have never seen such vivid header pipe colors! Is that real?! Or is it Photoshoped?!

Comment

What a novel way to heat the garage.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        What a novel way to heat the garage.
                        It's not really all that efficient.

The door has to be raised to run the bike, that offsets any thermal gain by the pipes.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
                          WOW! I have never seen such vivid header pipe colors! Is that real?! Or is it Photoshoped?!
                          That's real. I actually helped steve rebuild that motor after a valve actually snapped and fell into the jug.
                          Ran like a champ after though.

Comment

Working...
                          X