over revving 79 gs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over revving 79 gs400

Forgot to mention the plugs are very black and sooty as well.
    Woody

Originally posted by woodytwoshoes View Post
    Forgot to mention the plugs are very black and sooty as well.
    Woody
    What does this mean Woody? Over reving as in exceeding redline - 10,000 rpm? A hanging idle due to poor maintenance? Something else?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

overrevving

over-revving as in going from idle to wide open without the throttle being used.
      Woody

Comment

Air leak, kinked throttle cable, idle knob not adjusted properly, dirty carbs?

It could even be the "choke". Whenever you use the choke, the RPM will rise very high. Right at that instant, you adjust the "choke" lever so that it will idle around 1,500 RPM - 2,000 RPM.

Of course I am only guessing. Explain this problem a little better.

Sparkplugs are black and sooty? It's running rich (choke?)

Comment

carb issues

Ok, no air leaks, checked with starting fluid spray. throttle works freely, i just redid the float settings, im about to put them back on, ill keep ya informed.
          Thank you
          Woody

Comment

Ok, no air leaks, checked with starting fluid spray. throttle works freely, i just redid the float settings, im about to put them back on, ill keep ya informed.
            Thank you
            Woody
            Just because the throttle works freely doesn't mean it has the correct tension or routing.

Make sure you have SOME free play in the throttle (I think the spec is something like 1/8 -1/4"). If not, open up the right hand control and sneak a peak at the cable routing. It could look like this and still feel okay:

Specifically post #41
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

over-revving

well the carbs are back on and still the same thing. I moved the clip on the needles up one notch to lean it and plugs are still black and she revs way up without throttle being turned.
              Throttle mech is working fine, hmmm im at a standstill for now. Not sure what to check next.
              Woody

Comment

well the carbs are back on and still the same thing. I moved the clip on the needles up one notch to lean it and plugs are still black and she revs way up without throttle being turned.
                Throttle mech is working fine, hmmm im at a standstill for now. Not sure what to check next.
                Woody
                OK the plugs are still black, but which carb circuit did you test?

The needles only affect mid-throttle, and I'm talk throttle setting, not RPM.

You need to do proper plug chops (<-- click link) to test each circuit of the carb to see how it's running.

The guide in the link is for the VM carbs, but the concept is the same. Test each circuit at its particular throttle setting, "chop" the ignition, pull the clutch, coast to a stop. Examine the plugs. Repeat for next carb circuit, etc. THEN let us know what you find.

If possible, start the test with a fresh set of plugs. When you get it all sorted out, you can put your current set of plugs in there and they will clean up just fine, so you will be set for quite a while, as far as spark plug go.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Woody
                  Hey Woody,

did you actually open up the throttle to look inside? I'm asking this from experience. It may work "fine", but that still doesn't mean the cable is properly in the guide slot.

Do you have any freeplay of the cable at the carbs?

What you are describing sounds like the carb throats are open too much...
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

over revving

Ya, carb throats. How are they adjusted? The needles seem to go down and bottom but there is still a big gap between the bottom of the plunger and the throat of the carb. ???????
                    Help
                    Woody

Comment

Ya, carb throats. How are they adjusted? The needles seem to go down and bottom but there is still a big gap between the bottom of the plunger and the throat of the carb. ???????
                      Help
                      Woody
                      Yes, there will still be a "gap". Not sure how much of one is too much. I need to clarify what I wrote before as I seem to have sent you astray. I didn't actually mean for you to look at the gap at the bottom of the slider...I meant that the butterfly sounds like it is open too much. This could be due to the idle adjust being way off, a bad bench synch, or the throttle cable pulling it up.

What part of the Great White North are you in? I'd be happy to provide another set of eyes for you if you are in the Vancouver area.
                      Last edited by BigD_83; 11-02-2011, 02:27 AM. Reason: clarification of earlier post
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                      X