jet needle/needle jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jet needle/needle jet

ive installed carbs on my 83 gs1100ed from an 81 1100 that has 115 mains. the bike idles great and accelerates real good, but the acceleration from idle and midrange isnt too bad but it sound like it stuttering a little. i have another set of carbs that had 107.5 and according to the chart on basscliffs site should have the same needles and jet needles etc. I putting in the 112.5 mj that my bike should have. while im in there i thought switch ou t the needles and jets with proper numbers. Is there any id #s on the needles and jet needles etc? The plugs btw look to be on the lean side although theres probably on 100 miles on it. Also what do x-1, x-3 etc signify for needle jet?

Yes, there are numbers on both of those parts.

The x-1, x-3, etc. tell you which groove to put the clip in. If these are stock needles for the US market, there will only be one groove, so it doesn't matter. If, however, you find that there are multiple grooves , the #1 groove is closest to the fat end of the needle, then count from there. Generally speaking, you will start with the clip in the middle groove, and adjust from there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To read the number on the needle you might need to take it out of the slide, I could not get my c-clip pliers to fit in mine so bought a $2 pair of needle nose pliers and ground the end down to a sharper point with the belt sander and a fine grit and it got them out perfect

Also after searching around I realized the sticky at the top of this forum has the stock settings listed as well, not super organized but most models are there. I got a few misc parts from mine that I could sort through once I get them settled should you need to try something else.

Comment

thanks guys, Ill dive in to it tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
          Also after searching around I realized the sticky at the top of this forum has the stock settings listed as well, not super organized but most models are there.
          "sticky"?? what's that and where exactly is it?? I think I would like to take a peek at it, but I don't know where it is you're talking about.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by OldSkool
            "sticky"?? what's that and where exactly is it??
            At the top of most sections are posts that don't move, they always stay there. They are "stickies", because they are "stuck" there. Here's the direct link to the carb spec thread "sticky"...

Sticky: Carb OEM specs as per factory manuals

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Yes, there are numbers on both of those parts.

The x-1, x-3, etc. tell you which groove to put the clip in. If these are stock needles for the US market, there will only be one groove, so it doesn't matter. If, however, you find that there are multiple grooves , the #1 groove is closest to the fat end of the needle, then count from there. Generally speaking, you will start with the clip in the middle groove, and adjust from there.

Steve, the X-1, X-3, etc. is the needle jet, not the tapered needle.

Comment

Mine 1100e (pipes, pod, and dynojet stage 3) also stutters in the transition from the pilot to main jet circuits (3000-4500 rpm). Do you folks think this could be needle position? Dynojet recommends starting at the mid position. The previous owner had them raised/higher by two notches, but it was obvious he was trying lots of carb tricks by the box of parts he gave me. I compromised by raising the needles one notch from mid-position. Don't have enough miles on it to get a good plug read yet.

Comment

i changed the mains, needle jet , jet needle and pilot jet to stock and now it runs crappier. see my thread "smelly exhaust. Ill tinker with the air screw, then try the needles, but I may go back to the way I had it, which was using carbs jets etc from a 80 or 81 gs 1000.

Comment

Working...
                  X