Exhaust question an d a few minor things~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question an d a few minor things~

So first i want to say thanks to everyone for helping me out. I just started riding again after 4 months of heavy workload at my job and trying to do work on the bike (clean the carbs). In the end i took it to a shop.

I wasn't strong enuff to do what the bikecliff website said to do and i didn't have to the time to figure it out. these guys were great that did it and since i had all the parts it wasn't very expensive.

One thing they told me though for Mikuni carbs is not to disband them from the gang plank. Suzuki puts a seal connecting the carbs together, so when taken apart the seal is broken and it leaks constantly. If other's agree with this info perhaps spread it along so others don't make the that mistake. In all the research i've done it's never mentioned.

My exhaust question is this:

I see smoke coming out of the exhaust and I think it's blue, that means unburned fuel correct?

I also keep smelling gas. My carbs are clean. The intake boots are new with Viton O-rings. i don't have a leak coming from the carbs at all, but this is very similar to the problem i was having originally when i began trying to fix everything. I also have a new petcock installed.

I've been riding now since last saturday. tonight the engine seemed to drag a little, like there was a struggle for power. not a big struggle though b'cuz the engine still hummed pretty smooth. I haven't done a carb sync yet since the cleaning so i was going to get on that this weekend.

Will that fix the blue smoke, poor gas mileage and intermittent lack of power?

Originally posted by Dmajiq View Post

One thing they told me though for Mikuni carbs is not to disband them from the gang plank. Suzuki puts a seal connecting the carbs together, so when taken apart the seal is broken and it leaks constantly.
    BS. They can't be cleaned properly without thing them apart.
    They lie, don't go back to them.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tkent is right. The seals they refer to are only orings that will dry up after so long and must be replaced anyway.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hmmm, the seals they were referring too were in-between the carb bowls. there's o-rings there?

Comment

Blue smoke usually means your burning oil, perhaps a bad ring on a piston ?

Comment

Huh? The only seal between each carb is the fuel nipple (for lack of a better word right now) with orings on it. Plus each bowl has a gasket with orings on a couple of other pieces.

Another reason to do the work yourself only - you'll know what you have.

Go get Nessism's carb rebuild tutorial from Basscliff's site and read through it. You'll be surprised by how easy it is.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you gate keeper~

Comment

I am not an expert, but typically this is the cause for blue smoke, seen it many times on cars.

put a rag close to the exhaust as the bike is running, leave there for a bit, then smell the rag, does it smell of oil or gas, used to do that with cars to determine if the rings were shot

Comment

yeah, i'm really not strong enuff to do it myself, lol. that was the problem. broke my collar bone so it's hard to use my shoulder to muscle through things. i know bout the nipples and the o-rings. I read over 3 different pdf's on how to take the carbs apart, clean and put them back together and at least 5 youtube videos, lol. that's why i said in my research it's never mentioned these seals the mechanic was talking about. i'll ask him about it again later.

More concerned about the gas smell and poor mileage. The smoke just started up again tonight since riding again last saturday. Concerned i may have to do a complete overhaul on the engine. Not looking forward to the epense~

Comment

excellent idea! Thank you gatekeeper!

Comment

Is this accurate?

4-Stroke Bike Engine Condition through Exhaust Smoke

May 13th, 2009 Goto comments Leave a comment

#1. Colourless or slightly blue smoke from exhaust
                      This means that your bike is very good condition. What you can assume is your fuel/air mixture is at the right composition and everything is well burnt is your combustion chamber.
                      #2. Yellow or brownish smoke from exhaust
                      Your fuel/air mixture is too lean. Too lean means that there is low fuel but high air mixture in your combustion chamber.
                      Solution: Adjust the fuel/air mixture at your carburetor (or ECU) accordingly.
                      #3. Black smoke from exhaust
                      Your fuel/air mixture is too rich. High fuel but low air intake. This will reduce your fuel efficiency since the black smoke is your unburnt fuel.
                      The problem might be at this part:
                      i. Your air filter is dirty or blocked from receiving air from surrounding.
                      ii.Your choke is closed
                      iii. Your carburetor is damaged
                      Solution:
                      i.Clean/replace air filter
                      ii.Open choke
                      iii.Repair/replace your carburetor.
                      #4. White smoke from exhaust
                      This happen when your engine oil gets into the combustion chamber.
                      i. Piston ring is loose
                      ii. Piston is worn out
                      iii. Engine block is worn out/scratched
                      iv. Valve is worn out/damaged
                      v. Valve line is worn out/scratched
                      Solution:
                      i. Replace piston ring
                      ii. Rebore block and replace piston
                      iii. same with no. ii
                      iv. Replace valve
                      v. Rebore valve line and replace valve.
                      Sometimes white smoke can also occur in the morning or you start your bike after it is being left on the rain. The white smoke is the water vapour released from the condensation that happens inside your exhaust. Normally, this happens only for few minutes and then it will be back to colourless again. The difference from white water vapour smoke and white exhaust smoke is the smell. What I can say is, the smell from engine oil being burnt is your combustion chamber is bad and very busuk. Water vapour doesn’t have any smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmajiq View Post
                        Is this accurate?

4-Stroke Bike Engine Condition through Exhaust Smoke

May 13th, 2009 Goto comments Leave a comment

#1. Colourless or slightly blue smoke from exhaust
                        This means that your bike is very good condition. What you can assume is your fuel/air mixture is at the right composition and everything is well burnt is your combustion chamber.
                        #2. Yellow or brownish smoke from exhaust
                        Your fuel/air mixture is too lean. Too lean means that there is low fuel but high air mixture in your combustion chamber.
                        Solution: Adjust the fuel/air mixture at your carburetor (or ECU) accordingly.
                        #3. Black smoke from exhaust
                        Your fuel/air mixture is too rich. High fuel but low air intake. This will reduce your fuel efficiency since the black smoke is your unburnt fuel.
                        i. Your air filter is dirty or blocked from receiving air from surrounding.
                        ii.Your choke is closed
                        iii. Your carburetor is damaged
                        Solution:
                        i.Clean/replace air filter
                        ii.Open choke
                        iii.Repair/replace your carburetor.
                        #4. White smoke from exhaust
                        This happen when your engine oil gets into the combustion chamber.
                        i. Piston ring is loose
                        ii. Piston is worn out
                        iii. Engine block is worn out/scratched
                        iv. Valve is worn out/damaged
                        v. Valve line is worn out/scratched
                        Solution:
                        i. Replace piston ring
                        ii. Rebore block and replace piston
                        iii. same with no. ii
                        iv. Replace valve
                        v. Rebore valve line and replace valve.
                        Sometimes white smoke can also occur in the morning or you start your bike after it is being left on the rain. The white smoke is the water vapour released from the condensation that happens inside your exhaust. Normally, this happens only for few minutes and then it will be back to colourless again. The difference from white water vapour smoke and white exhaust smoke is the smell. What I can say is, the smell from engine oil being burnt is your combustion chamber is bad and very busuk. Water vapour doesn’t have any smell.

http://xbfish.com/2009/05/13/4-strok...exhaust-smoke/
                        White smoke is a lean condition. Blue smoke is oil being burnt. You can smell the oil being burnt if you're burning a lot of it. The exhaust has an oily smell and also will usually leave an oily residue on the outlet of the exhaust pipes.

Comment

Working...
                        X