1980 gs850L Broken off main jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850L Broken off main jets

Purchased a 1980 gs850L, on the cheap. Cosmetically in very good condition. Tank and carbs are another story. Took the carbs off tonight, and was removing the main jets. Two came out with no problems, and two broke off. I didn't force them, they just twisted off. So there is part of the treaded section still in and the other part of the main jet came out. Any idea on how to remove them without stripping out the whole thing? Going to clean and rebuild the carbs but first I have to solve this issue. The tank will have to be treated and rust removed. The bike obviously sat with gas in the tank for quite a while. The rest of the bike, is great. Much better than my last gs project.

Thanks Scudder

If the head of the main jet is broken off, the needle jet (the part into which is screws) will slide right on through the top, once you remove the slide. You can then use your favorite method of screw extraction.

OR, ... you can leave it in place, the notch on the side will help clamp it to keep it from spinning. Soak the threads with some penetrating oil for a day, then use a left-hand drill bit or maybe an EZ-out, but do it GENTLY. The brass is soft, it should give easily.

It might also help to pull the needle jet out and run the end past a torch flame. The heat and rapid expansion might break the corrosion free, then slide it back into place and try the extraction.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X