smelly exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smelly exhaust

have a 83 gs 1100 ed which was running on carb from an 80 or 81 gs 1000. it ran good but the mid range seemed a little un even. Installed the correct main jet from 115 to 112.5. the proper needle jet and jet needle, the correct needle jet (the female part) is alot narrower. what i think is the pilot jet under the rubber plug in the bowl from to the correct 45. and the starter jet on the intake from 160 to a 170. the proper one should be 180 but that is what I had to work with. took it for a short run and it ran pretty crappy with smelly exhaust. Would that be an indication of too rich?The air screws are 2.5 out. Needle position. I think they are x-1. Plugs are looking pretty whiteut havent run too much. thanks

this just in! the carb number is 49150. not on the chart on basscliffs site. had 115 mains. 160 stater jets, 40 pilots, needle 5d80, and jet needle x-6. alot of this looks scarily close to a 32mm for an 850 but the insidebore measures 34 if im measuing the correct spot. I put in what is called for for the 83 gs1100ed-112.5,45,5d58 needle, but the stater jet is a 170 instead of a 180 . I think by the smell its running too rich. what should i try changing to get this running right? And, if it does turn out to be a bs32, can it be jetted to run well on a gs1100? In oringinal configuration, is seemed to do well except for a little stutter in the mid range.

Comment

By searching the archive i did find that these are bs34 carbs, so this just boils down to how to tune them in.

Comment

Make sure they learn this tune from 50's "Wake Up Little Suzie" Just kidding abit.I do learn lots re:your project.As Suzuki Co. catalogue shows,they make/produce some mighty fine musical arts instruments also.Thanks
        Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2011, 01:23 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

huh? whats that got to do with the price of vws in Venezuela?

Comment

Both are far from turtle. Remember the Plymouth Valiant and Mercury Comet..they cross polinated them once for experiment:results were new named the" Vomit ",a failed but nobel effort.

Comment

Elrico, you're just messing with snicrep5 now.

snicrep. You may find a valve issue to be the cause of some of your issues as well. Rich exhaust with white (lean) plugs suggests that your exhaust valves may not be closing. There's a recent thread on here about that.

When was the last time you had a look at the clearances? Are you getting any wetness out the pipe or at any of the joints in the exhaust?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Lo siento,will make it up to him,visit Tejas in future in rental VW and sweep good amigo's shop floor area ;if he be gracious to allow me,no messin' w/GS member,after all his motorcycle is much bigger than mine,I give sincere respect.

Comment

it ran not too bad before i changed to the "correct" jets and needles. I checked the valve clearances already which were all tight, but now they are relaxed and set right. (no rhyme intended). ill do the simplest thing first..adjust the air screws. if no good result, then ill check the needles. could be the starter jets need to be 180 instead instead of the 170 i have in there.

Comment

Originally posted by elrico View Post
                    Lo siento,will make it up to him,visit Tejas in future in rental VW and sweep good amigo's shop floor area ;if he be gracious to allow me,no messin' w/GS member,after all his motorcycle is much bigger than mine,I give sincere respect.
                    yeah mines bigger but its not working right
                    what if I have a dirt floor and a mesquite roof?

Comment

Ideal conditions:roof, if leak or not a real plus,assumed floor of dirt,good basic structures,more than some have. Will have time later on,will reread posts thoroughly on performance prob.By time later on you may have solved it ,I'm hoping for best results for prob. Shopping for Venezualen Oranges,wish we had H.E.B. store here,still carry store discount card in wallet.

Comment

Jetting can/may become complicated as mechanical/electricial problems sometime mimic improper jetting. Weak spark-when ignition coils deteriorate,engine performance will/can/may become erratic.Engine might develope a high rpm misfire problem,check condition of the coils w/multimeter and all conections,sparkplug leads/wires also. If float bowl level is too high,the jetting will "seem" too rich. Check that floats do float.no holes,cracks etc .fuel will weight/sink them down,fuel inlet needle and seat condition also w/no binding,hang ups/downs. You found PO surprise for sure,sorting that out.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2011, 07:31 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

ive already gone throught the carbs as per basscliff. it ran with a score of 95 out of 100. but when I put everything back in the carb that it is supposed to have (jets needle jets, jet needles) it runs really crappy in the mid range.today im going to take the nylon washer out from under the needle and shim it down with washers just to see if there is a difference. Still not sure if its rich or lean. Adjusting the mixture doesnt seem to effect the idle at all. ICan still put everthing back in and live with it that way.

Comment

try out: honda nighthawk.net/carbhelp.htm , carb help files ,maybe before making adjustments,think you will l ike it. (much more than just nighthawk related info.)(and more help than I could ever provide)
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2011, 11:07 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

seems like this is just a conversation between me, myself and elrico. Nevertheless. I think I fixed my problem. I took out the thick nylon washer on my needle and replaced it with a thinner nylon one I got from lowes and it runs muucchh better. Ill take it out for a more extensive spin tomorrow and see how it does in the high end. weird that the 5d58 needle that it is supposed to have was shimmed poorly. I may be that it was tuned for another bike or region. Anyway looks like maybe I can getout of the garage and get some miles on it now. this is the time of year that its good to live so far south. It was 77 last night. A cold front comes in tues and itll drop tp 58 high of 78. Laters.

Comment

Working...
                              X