Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 is having weird acceleration issues

Hey guys, here's the deal.

RPM's go up smoothly in neutral and in 1st gear. In any other gear, there is a big hole a 4.5kish where the engine bogs down. It pushes through, but takes effort. After 5k, if I keep it at under 3/4 throttle it will accelerate up to redline, not that fast, being 1/2 throttle, but it will go.

If I twist the throttle past 2/3-3/4 the engine bogs completely. Not to the point of dying, but I have to immediately back off to 1/2 to get it to pick up again.

The carbs have been completely rebuilt, new boot O-rings, new air boots, clean/oiled filter, sealed air box, valve clearances checked, air mix screws out 2 1/2, etc. by both me and then my mechanic (whom I went to when I couldn't figure anything else out). He's a bit baffled as well. He said ignition timing is good, and he tried upping the main jet a bit too, to try that.

Seems like 2 different problems, but I don't know.

Help?

Did you completely strip and clean the carbs as per the tutorials? Sounds to me like there's muck in there.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Completely stripped, dipped, sprayed, wire-poked, o-ringed, gasketed, tutorialed! And then the mechanic (who thought there must be dirt too) rechecked all the jets and openings.

Comment

Do you have the stock airbox or pods? Have you done any plug chops when this happens?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Do you have the stock airbox or pods? Have you done any plug chops when this happens?
          Yes, reading the plugs at the point where the engine stumbles will tell you if it's rich or lean. Do the carbs have all stock jets, needles, etc? Did you over-oil the air filter? Check the vacuum hose to the petcock for leaks. Are you using an inline fuel filter?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I haven't done a chop, I can try that. Everything is original/stock except a z1 petcock, and a uni filter, which the mechanic re-oiled because I had over-oiled it. The vacuum hose is new, but could be kinking a little too much because the z1 petcock faces backwards. Carbs seemed to be opening the petcock though, so didn't think about that.

Comment

Did you sync them?

Just curious, I didn't see it mentioned......

Comment

yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Comment

Would changing The jet needle height maybe fix this?

Comment

Needle height adjustment wouldn't hurt, but, your needles should have only one position (If you're in the USA)
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ah, didn't know that. Every carb thing I saw talked about moving it up or down. Shoot. Any ideas?

Comment

Hi,

It still kind of sounds like an air leak somewhere, or the carbs still have some gunk stuck in a nook or cranny. It's not unheard of for a member to clean the carbs two or three times before it's done really well. Check the fuel and vacuum hoses again.

Does the airbox still have the snorkel? Are the "airbox to carb" boots sealed well? If the air intake is completely stock, going up in size on the main jets won't help, might even make it worse. Are the float heights properly set? Are the float valves seating properly?

There's a little article about "shimming the needles" in the carb section of my website. This is what you have to do to raise the needles if you do not have notched needles.

But if everything is completely stock, carbs properly cleaned, bench synched, vacuum synched, idle mixture screws adjusted, etc, it should run like a top. Keep looking. Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

If everything is stock, as Cliff says, the worst thing you could do is play with needle height / jets etc. It's the old check and check again for air leaks or muck.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

ok. The air box does have the snorkel and the airbox to carb boots are new and seem to be tight. I'll just keep checking!

Comment

Sooo... After we tried a bunch of stuff, the mechanic noticed that the little rubber plugs that should be on pilot jets was gone. It was missing when I took them apart so I never knew they were missing... now it runs like a champ!

Comment

Working...
                              X