Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if my exhaust is functioning properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know if my exhaust is functioning properly?

I'm in the middle of doing my carbs and just realized I should probably make sure my exhaust is functioning properly (i.e. back pressure) prior to synchronizing my carbs. I have the stock exhaust and new exhaust gaskets installed. My exhaust pipe (back half) easily slides out from the header (front half) where the two come together into one underneath the bike. That's the only obvious problem I'm aware of but other than that I have know idea what to check. What do I need to check regarding my exhaust to ensure it's functioning properly?

Thanks in advance!

Well,
    I'd check to make sure it has no leaks at the head, no rattles, should have some back pressure, no gaping holes in it, the exhaust fumes go through it (not plugged up), what else is there?
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Thanks. No rattles or holes and exhaust goes through both sides. How do you check for leaks at the headers? Place your hand near them and feel for exhaust coming out where it meets the engine head? I do get popping which sounds like it's in the back half of the pipes. Could this be from my loose fitting underneath?

Comment

I had a leak at the headers, I knew it immediately because it was loud. I would suspect a lesser leak will show itself in a little carbon build up on the pipe over time, and if it's small enough may seal itself. You may be able to feel for the leak, but I would only do that starting with a cold engine and pipes. If you have good gaskets and properly tightened nuts I wouldn't give it too much concern. If nothing is loose there, pipe, collar, nuts, washers, etc. I would expect everything to be OK, if there no unusally loud noise coming from there and you can't feel any hot air blowing out, I would give it the OK, unless there's a reason you expect
        to find a problem.

The popping you hear may be do to a lean condition, I wouldn't attribute
        it to the pipes unless you have reason to think otherwise.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Got it. Thanks for your time. I know it seems basic but this is my first bike so I tend to question myself on things the experienced folk find obvious. I don't want to assume anything cuz I'm usually wrong when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Smellii View Post
            Got it. Thanks for your time. I know it seems basic but this is my first bike so I tend to question myself on things the experienced folk find obvious. I don't want to assume anything cuz I'm usually wrong when I do.
            Where your two middle section pipes slide into the outer pipe-muffler combo there should be a gasket. They call it a gasket anyway. It's basically a cloth ring, probably originally made of asbestos but who knows what they're made of now. If they aren't there, you'll suck air around that slip joint and the bike may pop on deceleration. Those gaskets are still available, around $20 each thru Suzuki if I remember right, however some guys have chosen to use exhaust header wrap in it's place and it seems to do the job. There should also be clamps at those spots that tighten. If they slide together as easy as you say you may want to make sure the clamps are there and tight.
            Your crossover pipe probably had a clamp too. Some of them were slip fit with a clamp and some were all one peice. Unsure on your model but check it out.
            A parts fische will show you everything that's supposed to be there.

Comment

Ahhhh. Perfect. Thanks, CafeKid. I'll take care of that right away.

Comment

Working...
              X