Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb advice for a very ignorant new owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb advice for a very ignorant new owner!

Hello everyone-

Just got a gs1100gk. I replaced the stator and charging system now works. I've been riding around and the bike runs best when choke is on and takes a while to warm up. Once on the highway for a while I can take choke off and it runs well, but still a rough ride when accelerating and backfires when accelerating.

I know very little about about engines. When I bought the bike it was rough looking but appeared to have had carbs recently cleaned. The man I got it from said they weren't balanced. Could this be my issue?

The boots seem new to me and one carb is a different color from the others. When getting an old bike running, what should be done in terms of the fuel and carb systems?

Thanks

For got to mention-

The bike accelerates pretty good with choke on but awful without.

Comment

Welcome to the site. If you look around the site some, you will find all sorts of information without even having to ask. A great place to learn just about anything you need to know about the GS bikes is from BikeCliff's site, http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Needing the choke on to run sounds like a classic air leak to me.

Make sure all those boots and such are good, and sealed. A major point of air leak is between the carb manifolds and the head. There are o-rings there that get hard and nasty letting all sorts of air in. Also, look at the inside of your air box, box covers... etc...

A can of starter fluid (or WD-40 in painch) can be used to locate air leaks too. Warm the bike up, and shoot a little around the carb boots and the intake where it meets the head. If your idle goes up, you found the leak. Just be cautious spraying highly flammable stuff around a hot bike...

Carb sync is a must do.
      Valve adjust is a must do.
      Fix air leaks,
      Carbs Must be clean on these bikes. (If you don't know when they were last cleaned, clean them. ) There's a great tutorial on BikeCliffs site. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Did I mention BikeCliff's site?? http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2011, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Ditto above - symptoms are of an airleak on the intake side OR muck in the carbs somwhere (there's 'cleaning' and there's cleaning). For checking if you have an airleak I prefer to use a gas torch - one of the cheapo ones plumbers use, less chance of a fire. Waft the gas around the carbs and see if the revs increase.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

dont know about "less chance for fire" when wafting flammable gas aroung, but it sounds like a good method just no smoking or open flames.

Comment

Working...
          X