1980 gs850 Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 Carb Question

Got the carbs apart. I noticed today the small circular plate that is next to the jet needle (covered by gasket and rubber washer when bowl is installed) on one of my carbs is missing. Three of the carbs have it and the other one is gone, leaving a hole. Don't know if there is supposed to be a hole there or not. I've looked a the carb tutorial, but I don't see all 4 carbs together to get a reference. Don't have the manuel yet, so can't look through it to figure it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Scudder

Aluminum plug that blocks a big passage from the bowl into the throat... Funny, mine were missing one too. I have an extra set of carbs, so I replaced the plug and rubber washer. Now I am second guessing... but I can't imagine why it would be left out.

Comment

I was puzzled about the plug coming up missing. My first question is where did it go? Second question, where do I get one? I don't have extra carbs, and I don't suppose it is easy to find one aluminum plug for a gs850 carb. I can't imagine that the hole should be open so I guess I'll get to lookin' for a plug.

Scudder

Comment

Can you post a picture or graphic showing what plug is missing? I've got a few extra parts - maybe I've got what you need.

Comment

Sure thing. I'll take the picture tomorrow. Thanks.

Scudder

Comment

I can knock one out of a spare for you if wisgolfer doesn't have one. PM me with your address, I can have it in the mail tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
              Can you post a picture or graphic showing what plug is missing? I've got a few extra parts - maybe I've got what you need.
              If you look inside the throat, there is an aluminum plug, about a half inch diameter that plugs a passage between the throat and the float bowl. On the bowl side it is inset with a rubber washer to fill the gap between the plug and the bowl gasket. With the gasket in place, it is covered up and seems to have no purpose.

Comment

Plugless Carb Picture.

Hope that works. Thanks again.

Scudder

Comment

Yep - same one fell out of mine. I've got a spare that also fell out of another body. I'll see if I can track it down, but it'll take a day or so. Or you can take keman up on his offer.

I reinstalled mine with a thin coating of JB Marine Weld, which stands up to gasoline. No problem since.

Comment

Plug sent out this am. Should be there in a few days.

Comment

Thanks Keman. I appreciate the help. This forum has been and continues to be a huge help, and the lengths at which the members go to help is above and beyond the call.

If all goes well the carbs will be up and working by Saturday evening.

Scudder

Comment

I also have the same problem and i can not find that aluminum plug.

Comment

Working...
                        X