Popping and mist from vacuum nipple at carb #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping and mist from vacuum nipple at carb #2

I just finished dipping/cleaning my carbs and put them back on the bike. Prior to install I bench synched the vacuum and turned the air screws exactly two turns out(up). When I started up the bike there would be this popping (more like a "fip" sound) and a mist of presumably gas would spray out of the vacuum nipple at carb #2 (yes while the vacuum hose is attached so the pressure must be high).

I need to make fuel/air adjustments and perform a vacuum sync obviously but does anyone have an idea of what is physically happening so I know what to quickly adjust first when I start? Is it not enough vacuum?

Oh and the valves have already been adjusted and my airbox is sealed.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM.

Uh oh...

You MAY be sucking gas through the vacuum line. A pop? Like a backfire? Or more like someone popping their cheek with a finger?

Do you have a new line secured to the nipple with a spring clip?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It's simply a "fip" sound of the gas mist escaping from the vacuum nipple. It takes a higher pressure to push through the nipple (with the hose attached)

Comment

Does it also mist when you disconnect the vacuum line?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Ok. I figured it out. Sorry, I freaked out a little when I saw gas mist spraying OUTSIDE the bike.

I'll write out my procedure in case any newbee (like me) could use it. When I regained composure I turned the air screw one turn left (out) thinking it was way rich then I realized my idle adjuster wasn't engaged at all so I turned it right (in) maybe 5 or 6 turns to engage it so I can actually use it to adjust the idle. I happened to have a carburetor synchronizer attached and noticed carbs 1, 2, and 4 were the same and 3 was way low. Considering all the other carbs should be adjusted relative to #3 I turned up my idle using the big idle hand screw in until I would reach 2k rpm then turn the vacuum screw left (out) until I would reach 900 rpm. Kept turning idle thumb screw in and vacuum screw out until all four carbs matched on my synchronizer. Once they matched I turned the idle screw right (in) until I reached 1050 rpm (correct idle rpm per manual). No popping.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah. I plugged the vacuum line and used a gravity fed auxiliary fuel tank.

Comment

Working...
            X