Clear All

Air screw doesn't raise idle???

Valves adjusted
    New battery
    Airbox sealed
    New tires
    Calipers rebuilt
    Exhaust sealed properly
    Carbs rebuild (just this weekend, freshly installed, and syncing now)

Why would my idle speed not respond to an air screw adjustment? I synced my vacuum but when I adjust my air screws I can't get it to idle higher. My air screws were two turns out but I can turn them all the way out (up) with no change in idle speed. From the same position (two turns out) I can turn them in about one turn and get it to stall.

Is it possible to sync the vacuum too low? Could this be the reason my bike isn't responding to a mixture change? Higher the vacuum the more sensitive the bike is to fuel/air ratio? Is it even possible to change the vacuum pressure while keeping all four carbs synced?

Hi,

Your carbs do not have"air screws", they have "idle mixture adjustment screws". If the idle no longer responds then you have turned them out too far. Turn them back in until the idle starts to decrease, then turn them out 1/8th turn or so. The engine will tell you where they should be set.

Sometimes, if the screws are turned in too far, the tips will break and they will not adjust at all.

The idea behind a vavuum sync is to balance the carbs relative to each other with the #3 carb being the "master", since you can't adjust it. It would be difficult to vacuum sync them "too low".

At what rpm are you doing your sync?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Smellii View Post
      ...From the same position (two turns out) I can turn them in about one turn and get it to stall
      You said it right there. Turn the mixture screw in till you hear it change, (idle drops) then back out 1/8th.

Comment

I'd set them at 2.5 turns and leave them alone.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am with Ness on this, I don't know where the 1/8 comes from, but then I was not good at maths when I was at school. I would not go under 2 turns out.

Mine are at two and bike runs well, when they were at 2 1/2 turns out I had a slight stumble just off idle. Took them in to 2 turns out and stumble gone, idles nicely and plugs look the correct colour.

Adjust them so it feels right on the road, idles well, pulls well and has smooth transition through each stage. Every bike will be different, I know that 2 turns out on my motor is a bit less than is usual, but it works on my motor. The 2 1/2 turns out is more normal, but it depends on the condition of your motor and the carbs as well.

Comment

Ok. I set them to 2.5 turns out and carbs 2, 3, and 4 are perfect. Bike has never sounded better...except for carb 1. The threads in carb #1 where the idle mixture adjustment screw goes are all messed up. It's really really hard to turn but I thought I had it down far enough comparing to the depth of the screw from the other carbs using a micrometer. Plus there is a gouge, looks like from a drill bit or something from the previous owner, along the threads in the carb body. I'm going to fill in the gouge and clean up the threads with a tap. From a search I found someone had the same problem and was going to use a 6M X 0.50 or 6M X 0.75 tap. Can someone validate either of these being the correct size for a mixture screw? How do you measure these?

Thanks for your help, guys. My bike is almost finished. This is the last thing it needs to be road ready! Woot!
            Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Answered my own question. 6M X0.75 tap. Also found this web page with some tips for the CV carbs.

Comment

Also found this web page with some tips for the CV carbs.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdcvcarbappendix.htm
                Those are pretty good tips for the KEIHN CV-type carbs, but that does not mean that they will also work for our MIKUNI cv-type carbs.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

so they aren't the same???? ugh! ok. so do you happen to have thread specs for mikuni cv carb mixture screws?

Comment

so they aren't the same???? ugh! ok. so do you happen to have thread specs for mikuni cv carb mixture screws?
                    Yeah, they are about as much "the same" as Fords and Chevys.

Hey, they are both cars, they must be the same, right??

The "CV" in the name of the carb is a type of carb, not a model. It stands for "constant velocity", which means that it has a variable venturi (the area under the slide) that changes in response to changes in air flow, to maintain rather constant velocity (hey, there are those words again) in an effort to maintain consistent jetting. Several manufacturers had the same concept, but used different methods and parts to make their carbs.

Sorry, I don't have the specs for the threads.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

got it. (learn something new every day I suppose.....well like 38 new things in my case.) I measured it the best I can with my micrometer and it seems to be 6M X 0.75. Going to buy a tap and see if it's the right size. Thanks, Steve.

Comment

The tap size is 6mm x 0.5 mm - I've done loads of these as it's common over here (where we didn't get the little caps) for the threads to be badly corroded / gunked up.

The threads are so small, at least for my eyes, that I can't tell what size they are from a thread gauge. I just know I have a tap and what size it is and it fits.

Here's one: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MPXNO=12344309
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have a similar circumstance. My screws didnt change the idle. After I changed needle position, It changed on 3 out 0f 4 carbs and not a drastic change. But since it is running like a scalded dog, Ill just set them a t 2.5 and check the plugs after a while.
                          BTW Im telling everyon how im in love with this bike now (like tom cruise/katie holmes love)

Comment

Good advice. I did the same and now it's running great. Still have to fix the threads for air screw #1 so I can get it even with the other three and I'll be set. Woot!

Comment

Wow. I've spent 2 days looking for a 6M x .5 tap. Not even a specialty fastener store has one. None of the machine shops here even have one. Will cost me more to have one shipped than it's worth. Have to wait till I have more money. hehe. (yeah I'm poor) On my list though. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X