Gas tank question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank question...

I have an '80 850L. Will any of the larger gas tanks from other GS's fit on this bike. I would like a larger one.

Thanks is advance.

If this question is posted in the wrong section I apologize.

I put a 4 gal tank on my 80 850L. There is no direct bolt in swap though. You'll need some fab skills to do it. IF you can score an '82 850L tank, it's 4.2 gal., but you have to weld mounting brackets to your frame because it's a two bolt mount instead of the single bolt mount. The tank I used also required the triple off of the parts 850G that I have as it wouldn't clear the straight triple used on the L models (front of the tank is squared, not angled). I also had to remove the L tank mounting ears and install new ears where the the g tanks mouunt.
    PM me and I'll send you some pictures later today.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I would like to have a larger tank on my 1980 gs850L. I have a 78 gs750 and it has a big tank, nearly 5 gallons I believe. I think the gs850L only has a 3.5 gallon tank. Not as big as I'd like for driving distances.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
        I was wondering the same thing. I would like to have a larger tank on my 1980 gs850L. I have a 78 gs750 and it has a big tank, nearly 5 gallons I believe. I think the gs850L only has a 3.5 gallon tank. Not as big as I'd like for driving distances.

Scudder
        Exactly.....

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          I put a 4 gal tank on my 80 850L. There is no direct bolt in swap though. You'll need some fab skills to do it. IF you can score an '82 850L tank, it's 4.2 gal., but you have to weld mounting brackets to your frame because it's a two bolt mount instead of the single bolt mount. The tank I used also required the triple off of the parts 850G that I have as it wouldn't clear the straight triple used on the L models (front of the tank is squared, not angled). I also had to remove the L tank mounting ears and install new ears where the the g tanks mouunt.
          PM me and I'll send you some pictures later today.

Thanks.....

Comment

Working...
          X