Advice on cutting stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on cutting stock exhaust

I just got a gs1100 and am thinking of some ideas to spice it up. I am interested in getting a new exhaust or cutting my stock pipes.

How does one go about cutting the stock pipes? I have read a lot on here about rejetting but can find a definitive answer. I'd like to cut my pipes near the passenger pegs then I'd put the baffles back on so it isn't too loud. I want a little noise but nothing obnoxiousness.

FYI-Everything I have on the bike is stock. Also one pipe backfires a lot right at the baffle and it is quite rusted. Would the backfire go away and is rejetting always necessary?

Many times the popping or back firing in the mufflers is caused by the cold air getting sucked in thru holes or cracks. The fresh oxygen mixes and ignites unspent gas vapors. I think I would be 100% sure the carbs are clean and then add whatever mufflers your gonna go with. Then see if the bike runs better, holds a better idle, and the back firing stops. You may well not need any carbs parts once all the basics are sorted out.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

The definitive answer is "Any modifications to intake or exhaust usually require jetting changes. The actual jetting changes needed will vary depending on the severity of the modifications."

Research the "plug chop" procedures on my little website. You can also read the Factory Pro jetting procedures. There's a link on my site on one of the carb pages.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X