Exhaust Gasket Removal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Gasket Removal???

Is there any tricks that anyone knows of that makes the removal of old exhaust gaskets from the head any easier? I'm having a hell of a time and I'm afraid I'll end up ruining them AND not be able to remove them.

Thanks!

Just pry them out with a screwdriver. I've never had any problem removing these - even on real old scrappers they usually just fall out after a poke.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just rip them outta there, go ahead and ruin them, you can't re-use them anyway.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I used a dental pick, but a small blade screwdriver under an outter edge and a gentle pry to pull them away from the edge should do the trick.

As stated above, you can't re-use them, so the only worry is to not damage the head while pulling them out.

Comment

if all else fails.........air chisel
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

cotter key remover...
            aka screw driver w/ 90 degree bent end w/ point.
            great tool with multiple purposes!

Comment

I use a packing puller like we had on board ship for removing valve stem packing material from steam valves. No, mine aren't Navy tools, I bought them at a tool supply store like Thomas Tools.

Comment

I had the same problem recently, thought they would never come out. Screwdriver or anything like it wouldn't work. I ended up using some needle-nose pliers and pressing as hard as I could while pinching them as deep as possible. Got them all out in about 15 minutes using this method.

Comment

Jackhammer

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Jackhammer
                    If you use the jackhammer method, be sure to have a helper to steady the bike.......ask me how I know

Comment

Working...
                    X