Petcock handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock handle

The old petcock on my 1980 gs850 didn't have a handle for adjustment. I ordered a new one thinking that it would have an adjustment lever/handle, and it doesn't have one either. Is this normal for this bike?

Scudder

My 80 GS 850 has the handle.

Comment

The original petcock for the '80 850L has the screwdriver slot and two positions: Run and PRIme. The 850G has the normal petcock with Run, Prime and Reserve. The petcock for the 850G will not fit the 850L tank, by the way, the hole spacing is different.

Comment

Thanks DantheMan. I have an 850L so everything is good to go. So, there is no reserve on the 850L? I know it has a guage, but those things are sometimes not too accurate. Odometer works best.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
          Thanks DantheMan. I have an 850L so everything is good to go. So, there is no reserve on the 850L? I know it has a guage, but those things are sometimes not too accurate. Odometer works best.

Scudder
          Nope, no reserve. You have a 3.2 gal tank, and if you're not pushing it, you'd better be looking for a gas station at 90 miles. If you're riding hard into a headwind, better be looking earlier. The gas gauge is actually fairly accurate unless the float has been damaged, or the wiring.

Comment

Working...
          X