Vacuum Sync on VM Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum Sync on VM Carbs?

I'm looking for a guide on how to vacuum sync the VM carbs on my 1979 GS 750? seems as though the majority of info I've found is related to CV type carbs where as the VM's are slide.

I've never done this before so I'm not sure of what hoses go where. pics with instructions would be ideal!

Also, if anyone knows where there is a "how to build a Manometer" thread/link that would be of interest as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM.

I can't help you with synching your carbs as I have CV kind but I will recommend you don't waste your time building a manometer. There are too many issues with man-made ones. You'll save yourself time, money, and aggravation if you get something like a Morgan Carbtune.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

would something like this work well?

Comment

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
        would something like this work well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300621702461...84.m1423.l2649
        Yes - they work fine. They aren't the best but they are good enough to do the job properly and accurately.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The dials will work. they're harder to read, and bounce a bit. Even the liquid tube style will bounce some without restricters. The best tool I have found is the Morgan carbtune. I owned one years ago, and have used different styles. (even home made) Nothing has been more effective than the Morgan.

Comment

I have had the pleasure of trying just about every commercially-available system there is to synch the carbs.

I still have, and use, my mercury sticks, but a Morgan Carbtune might be in my future, when funds become available.

It's hard to justify the expense when you already own the standard against which all the others are calibrated (but is generally not available any more).

If I currently had no gauge set, I would definitely go for the Carbtune.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So is there a how to guide on these slide style VM carbs kicking around here somewhere?

Where would I plug the vacuum hoses into on these carbs? & what screw would I turn to adjust them?

Sorry, I have never done this before.

Comment

There's a screw on the side of each intake manifold - remove it and screw in the hose adapter

Take off the top of the carbs (3 screws) and there's a screw and locknut. You loosen the nut and turn the screw to adjust the sync

Due to space restriction, some one invented a multitool long ago

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

a combination socket wrench/screwdriver

While I can understand the desire to save money, a good quality sync tool is not only easier to use, you don't have to calibrate it every time like dial gauges

I'm a dedicated Morgan user. Buy the little pack it fits in also
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You can run the bike w/o the carb tops?

I also don't see where you would be able to put in a hose adapter w/o removing the pod filters. wouldn't that cause the bike to run entirely differently? are you talking about the actual air mixture screw?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

So is there a how to guide on these slide style VM carbs kicking around here somewhere?

Where would I plug the vacuum hoses into on these carbs? & what screw would I turn to adjust them?
                    Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    There's a screw on the side of each intake manifold - remove it and screw in the hose adapter

Take off the top of the carbs (3 screws) and there's a screw and locknut. You loosen the nut and turn the screw to adjust the sync

Due to space restriction, some one invented a multitool long ago

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

a combination socket wrench/screwdriver

While I can understand the desire to save money, a good quality sync tool is not only easier to use, you don't have to calibrate it every time like dial gauges

I'm a dedicated Morgan user. Buy the little pack it fits in also
                    Since you say you have seen the tutorials for the BS-series carbs, you should at least have seen where the gauges get connected to the bike. There are plugs in the intake boots for the VM carbs, just like there are for the BS carbs. That part of the process is unchanged.

As Big T mentions, remove the cap of each carb so you can access the locknut and adjuster. Unlike the BS-series carbs, there is no "master" carb from which to reference the others. I would suggest starting with the carb that has the lowest vacuum reading and adjusting it to get closer to the one with the highest, repeat as necessary. Note that as you make your second adjustment, the readings of the first two carbs that you balanced just a bit ago, will change. You will probably end up making several adjustments, not just three, before you have satisfactory results. Seeing how making one adjustment actually affects all four vacuum readings will quickly convince you why you need to have a gauge set that shows all four readings at the same time.

The manual suggests doing this adjustment between 1500 and 2000 RPM, but I had done countless number of carb syncs before reading that, so I still do mine at about 1100-1200 RPM. Keep a fan or two blowing on the engine to keep it from overheating, as this will likely take you several minutes to accomplish.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's an example

You can run the bike w/o the carb tops?

I also don't see where you would be able to put in a hose adapter w/o removing the pod filters. wouldn't that cause the bike to run entirely differently? are you talking about the actual air mixture screw?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions.

Bryan

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at these carb sync guides to get an idea:

Synchronize Carburetors
                        (With the Morgan Carbtune)

Synchronize Carburetors
                        (on bwringer's site)

The sync ports (where you connect the vacuum lines from the carb sync tool) will either be in the intake boots or the intake ports on the head, not the carbs. Take off the top of the VM carbs. The vacuum adjustment is on the top of the slides. You must adjust all 4 VM carbs. (The CV carbs use #3 as the "master" carb, it has no adjustment).

Oops, I see I'm late with this response. Mr. btbarb and Mr. Steve type quicker than I do.

This is my fan setup.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

OK, I see where the adapter would go now, it goes into the actual head right after the intake boots. It's a little allen bolt where the adapter for the carb sync Manometer screws into it.

I'm still confused that you need to have the carb tops open while syncing them, seems like it would make the bike run differently? I must be wrong though, there seems to be no other way.

Thanks!

haha, I wrote this before I saw the other responses, the reason I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around it was because I have the carbs on my workbench and I wasn't seeing anything that a vacuum hose could hook up to.

Thanks for all your responses! you guys are great!
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

It will run fine without the tops installed.. You need them off to make the adjustment... IF you are going to spend the money ?? GET the morgan carb tune. The vacuum gauge setup is difficult to use !!!! as the needles bounce all over the place ..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                              The vacuum gauge setup is difficult to use !!!! as the needles bounce all over the place ..
                              If this happens you just dampen them down. It can be a little tricky to get them right down without stopping the vacuum altogether but they work fine. They are exactly the same as the Kawasaki factory tool of the day.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X