Aux Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux Fuel Tank

Instead of using an aux tank, I use my regular tank as shown below. I have an extension on the vacuum line so it will be long enough with the tank moved back. Everything I have read on carb syncing calls for a gravity feed aux tank and the vacuum line plugged. Is it okay to leave the vacuum line plugged in like I have it for a carb sync? I guess I could plug the vacuum line and switch the petcock to Prime if that would better. Does it matter?

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

What is holding the tank to the plywood?
    Hard to see anything in the blur.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      What is holding the tank to the plywood?
      Hard to see anything in the blur.

Daniel
      Looks like "gravity" to me.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The tank just sits on the plywood, but the plywood is bungied on both sides to keep it from tipping. Going back to the original question, is it okay to sync the carbs with the vacuum line hooked up to the tank?
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Yes. (now my reply is 10 letters long).
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Gracias, darn that's only 8 letters. Gracias senior.
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
              The tank just sits on the plywood,
              That is exactly what worries me!
              So... what are you going to do WHEN the tank vibrates off and gets all dented up?

Daniel

Comment

The fuel source(whatever it may be) needs to be sitting close to where the tank would be if mounted. No vacuum. So the fuel shouldnt be going "up".

I use a gear oil bottle(or similar). The one with the pointy nipple and a long hose. Use a coat hanger to hang it from the cealing or the garage door rail.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  That is exactly what worries me!
                  So... what are you going to do WHEN the tank vibrates off and gets all dented up?

Daniel
                  If your bike vibrates enough to move a gas tank that is sitting on plywood, you still have a bunch of work to do.

You can use a rubber mat or a rag between the plywood and tank to buffer any vibration, but all my bikes run smooth enough that a loose wrench barely moves, let alone a 20-pound tank.

1948man, the reason they say to plug the vacuum port is because most AUX tanks do not have vacuum-operated petcocks. The whole idea is that it needs to be connected to something (plug, screw, bolt, petcock, whatever) that does not allow air flow that would upset the mixture, there is no reason why your petcock would not satisfy that requirement. In fact, it is actually BETTER, because, when you stop the engine to make any adjustments, you will turn off your fuel flow, too.

The only thing that I would criticize about your setup is that the level of the tank might actually be a bit low. If your tank is empty enough to lift off the bike comfortably, it may not have enough "head height" to get the gas to the carbs properly. You might have to fill the tank a bit, making it a bit more awkward to lift off and put back on.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use an old whipper snipper fuel tank hung from a hook on one of the rafters in the garage, seems to work well:

My personal preference is to simply put the fuel tank aside after taking it off which reduces the chances of my clumsy self dropping it and denting it...

It's a bit higher than where the fuel tap sits on the tank, but it's as low as I can get it where I can still have a tap in line to turn the flow off.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hi,

OK, here's my aux tank. Just a gear oil bottle, a little extra fuel line, a barbed connector, and I'm in business.

It's hanging on an IV stand. And you can see my golf tee in the vacuum line.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will see about getting the tank a couple of inches higher. With the amount of reach in the fuel line, I should be able to do that. It's actually pretty full. There's no way it's going anywhere unless I or one of the mutts hit it pretty hard.
                        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I'll show you my setup, but I would not recommend it, due to possible safety reasons.

I have drilled a hole in the cap of a gallon jug, put a piece of clear tubing through the hole that sort of forms a gasket, then slid a smaller piece of tubing into it to carry the fuel. Due to the need for frequent attention to the tubing joints to make sure they are not leaking, I can not recommend this for just anyone to use.

In practice, I find it rather easy to use. I fill it about half-way, which is more than plenty to do a sync job.

This also allows for a hand ON-OFF feature by simply turning the jug over.

Yeah, OK, the tank is usually OFF the bike when I do this, I just took the seat off to stage these pictures.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X