Gang screws for BS32SS

recap for people that found this with search:

the BS32SS carbs found on a lot of GSs use these screws on the outside:

heads: you need 4 for each carb of M5x12mm
    bowls: 1 for each carb of M5x16mm
    back gang plate: 1 for each carb of M5x12mm
    front gang plate : 1 for each carb of M6x12mm

all apparently use standard pitch.

Mr. Robert Barr suggested using M5x12mm on the heads, however has GateKeeper successfully used M5x16mm. both should be suitable lengths.

these are common, standard size screws that should be available from your favorite supplier. most recommend replacing the worn stock screws with hex-head stainless steel fasteners for ease of removal in the future. using an anti-seize paste is of paramount importance.

on a side note, Mr. Robert Barr happens to have the intake boot screw sets available on his cycleorings.com website, which you can order along with your o-ring kit.

original post:
    ================================================== =======================

had my carbs on my bench, and then quickly got tired of fighting with the stuck screws. it's cold out, snowing already with no heat in the garage. i can usually bear the cold, but cold + frustration is a recipe for disaster so i'm taking the rest of the night off.

i've already decided to order up a bunch of new stainless steel hex fasteners, found an ebay seller mentioned in another thread, the prices look good, and he's got them all in one place.

the letter that came with my o-rings from cycleorings.com told me that the head screws are M5 x 12. one of Koolaid's posts says the bowls use M5 x 16.

now, what about the gang screws? reading around, i gathered that one gang plate might use M5, and the other M6. the screws are so cheap, i don't care to be right about that just yet: i'll order eight of each, and then i'll have spares.

the question is: how long do they need to be? i called it a night before i cut into any of the screwheads, so i haven't gotten any out yet to measure myself. i'm probably going to wait until my shipment of screws comes in before i continue any further.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM. Reason: adding information learned to original post

I had to buy an impact screw driver to get mine apart. 15.00 at most auto parts stores. It brings the frustration factor down a bit.

Its good for those pesky case screws too.

Comment

Keep in mind, ALL of the screws on our bikes are not SAE American phillips. They're Japanese! Standard American drivers will strip out the head.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
        I had to buy an impact screw driver to get mine apart. 15.00 at most auto parts stores. It brings the frustration factor down a bit.
        I have the Craftsman $25 one. The bits are the key; the ones in this kit are simply fantastic. I didn't need to use impact at all to get the gang screws out with those bits! Or find yourself a JIS Philips #3 driver.

Originally posted by keman View Post
        Its good for those pesky case screws too.
        I'd seen so many people complain about case screws and wondered what they were complaining about so much? Then I found out that in 82 Suzuki switched to little hex-head bolts...

Originally posted by mechiah View Post
        had my carbs on my bench, and then quickly got tired of fighting with the stuck screws. it's cold out, snowing already with no heat in the garage. i can usually bear the cold, but cold + frustration is a recipe for disaster so i'm taking the rest of the night off.

i've already decided to order up a bunch of new stainless steel hex fasteners, found an ebay seller mentioned in another thread, the prices look good, and he's got them all in one place.

the letter that came with my o-rings from cycleorings.com told me that the head screws are M5 x 12. one of Koolaid's posts says the bowls use M5 x 16.

now, what about the gang screws? reading around, i gathered that one gang plate might use M5, and the other M6. the screws are so cheap, i don't care to be right about that just yet: i'll order eight of each, and then i'll have spares.

the question is: how long do they need to be? i called it a night before i cut into any of the screwheads, so i haven't gotten any out yet to measure myself. i'm probably going to wait until my shipment of screws comes in before i continue any further.
        This info might help (decoding bolt sizes from Suzuki part #'s):

As usual, BassCliff's such a big help!

From the fiche on my bike it looks like the top rail screws are M5 and 12mm long, the bottom ones are M6 and also 12mm long. Doubt they would vary much between models. I have no idea exactly what the thread pitch is, sorry. This (from the link above), says that Suzuki like to use 5x0.8 and 6x1.0:

Suzuki uses standard metric thread pitches up through 8mm:
        3mm x .5
        4mm x .7
        5mm X .8
        6mm X 1
        8mm X 1.25

Comment

rad idea with the exploded part number list.

according to that site, the part numbers are 02142-05127 and 02112-06127. like you said, probably one is M5 and the other M6. going to hunt the internet to see the lengths.

on basscliff's site again, i found the Parts Manual pdf which has information (it even mentions one of those parts by name!)

For example: Screw part number 02142-05127 uses the first part to define where it goes and the second part gives the size 05 means 5mm and 12 means 12mm and 7 means the pitch of the thread.
          that's a problem, though. if that's accurate, then there's some discrepancies. 05127 translates to M5 x 12mm with .7 pitch. but the standard pitch for an M5 is .8. the other part makes for an M6 with .8 pitch instead of 1. this would be annoying to remember, but doable.

the thing is, 02142-05127 is a replacement part; the original part was 02142-05128, theoretically M5 x 12mm with .8 pitch. if correct, that would mean that these shipped from the factory with .8 pitch, but zuki eventually started replacing them with .7s? doesn't that sound fishy? i'm no super-pro, but it seems like that would ruin the the thread on the part.

until someone tells me "it doesn't matter" i'm going to assume something is wrong there, and keep hounding google and GSR search until i find the exact numbers for the screws.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

hunting around, someone mentioned i drop by a fastenal, they have freebie little measuring do-dads, and apparently a good supply of stock on-hand.

since there is actually one near me (i haven't actually seen a good hardware store in my new town yet, so this is rad), i'll probably get downstairs and get one each of the screws out and take them over there.

Comment

Where are you located??

Comment

the burbs of montreal, canada. there's a nearby napa and o'reilly, but the selection is maybe 1/5 of the stores i'm used to in america, and no autozones. they do have nearby warehouses, so i get what i need quick... but pricey. just paid $55 for a gallon of carb dip to come in tomorrow. shoot me.

the major player around here is canadian tire; it's like a target/walmart plus autozone plus sears tool center. the selection is huge, but getting things they don't have is slower, and getting help from the employees is unrealistic.

if i have to have it now i'll go there, but if it's not an emergency, i'm not their customer anymore.

Comment

I was at my local Canadian Tire store tonight, they had the allen head screws, but not in the stainless steel, the ones they had were all in black, I picked up one of each just to see if they fit and all worked out just fine, grabbed one for the bowels, the carb caps, and for the gang rails

I grabbed the following

5X12mm for the back rail
                  6X12mm for the front rail

5X16mm for the bowels and for the carb caps

test fitted and all fit properly, only issue is they are black and not stainless steel

total cost on the 3 bolts was only 1.85 plus tax

going to hit up my local Brafasco to see if they have any of the bolts I am looking for tomorrow

Comment

oh hey sweet, guess i'm lucky we were both working on this at the same time. thanks for the info.

Comment

Just note, I only took 3 of the bolts and purchased them from Canadian tire, only o see if the fit was correct, it was.

I did not get a whole set, as they were black in color and not Stainless Steel

I went to my closest Brafasco store just now, but they are doing Inventory and the place is a zoo and a whole mess, they couldn't find anything I wanted but they do have what I need. Was told to come back next week, after their inventory is done, and thier stock is back up to par

There will be no issues in getting the required bolts that I am looking for in Stainless Steel.....

Cheers

also don't forget you can order them from Z1Enterprises

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I ordered a full set for the side covers and such, and I might order from them the ones for the carbs as well, I saw one of the bolts at Brafasco and it was not the same as the ones from Z1, Brafasco's had ridges on the head where as the ones from Z1 are smooth, not sure if this will really be a big deal, but I will compare once I get at least one from Brafasco
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

thanks for the update. i compiled the list of screw measurements to the OP. thanks a lot for the input, you saved me a fair bit of time and headache.

Comment

Working...
                        X