Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CARB Piping Help?!?! and Device meant to be under CARBs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARB Piping Help?!?! and Device meant to be under CARBs?

Hey Guys,

Just Obtained a GS450 for free was missing a few parts, most have been bought and fitted. Except under the Carbs I noticed a hole going sort of inbetween the Pistons, and well I have no idea whats meant to be there. Whats it called? what does it effect?

Also The Fuel petcock was missing so bought a replacement but looking at my repair manual and online, Ive figured out where the main fuel line goes however I have two pipes coming off the petcock and just wondering where does the other line go?

One last thing, how are all the vacuum hoses connected? There is just soo many hoses coming off the carbs and i cant figure out where they go (they were disconnected when i obtained the bike) Pictures would be nice or links if you guys could help.

Thank you.

Welcome to the site; Basscliff should be along later with his official welcome but in the meantime, check this page out:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hopefuly you are not missing the cam chain tensioner.

If that's what is missing, do NOT crank the engine until one is installed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I"m guilty of not posting enough pictures in my threads, but a half-decent camera will go a long ways to illustrating your points.

Also, when you get a chance, go into your User CP (control panel) and add your location. You may find one (or more) of the great people on here are willing to drop in and give you a hand.

While you're in your User CP, create a signature for yourself, and add in your model information. There are enough differences between the models, even of the same displacement, that having the complete model and year information can get you pointed in the right direction, fast.

Be patient, and you'll start to find your way around the bike.

To get you started, this is one of my favourite sites for parts diagrams because they use Suzuki numbering which allows you to cross reference.

BikeBandit has clearer diagrams but use their own part numbers.

EDIT- +1 on Steve's thoughts on the cam chain tensioner. That's really the only thing that could be missing between the pistons
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

One of those tubes coming off the petcock is going to one of the carbs to create suction to open the petcock, if your model did indeed have a vacuum-actuated petcock (EDIT- probably part #58 on the diagram link I previously posted). Someone with intimate knowledge of the 450s will be better able to help you out once you post your year and model information. If this is your first motorcycle, then you should be able to find that information on a plate riveted to the frame, up near the steering head.
          Last edited by BigD_83; 11-18-2011, 02:23 AM.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

the part your referring to as a hole between the pistons, do you see it here in this picture, you might not see the hole, but as mentioned would it be the cam chain tensioner

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. izabi,

Yes, that certainly sound like where your cam chain tensioner would go. Don't turn the engine with pieces like that missing. As it is, you may have to re-time the cams if the engine has been turned before you acquired it.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you all so very much for your warm welcomes and thanks BassCliff for your Special Welcome. haha

and THANK YOU ALL!!!! That helped so Much, Yes the tensioner is missing but I have already ordered another and it should be here soon

Thank you also for all the photo's they are exactly what I was looking for, Now i have practically worked out all that I wasnt sure about.

Would any of you guys be able to guide as to how I would retime the cams? I have the workshop maunal which says the notches on the cams must be opposite. Well according to the diagram, this seems logical i guess since its a twin... but are there any tips as to how to line up the cams so they allow the valves to go off at the correct times?

Thank you,

Lucas

Comment

Check Cliffs site for that info. If you can't find it there, it's probably not available

Comment

Working...
                  X