Carb confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb confused

I'm working on a 1980 GS1000G. Cleaned the carbs, replaced the intake boots & orings, and replaced the air filter. Here is the problem I'm having. The idle is set at 1,000 rpms, but when she warms up the idle will not get below 2,500 to 3,000 rpms. I'm thinking it is running too lean. Any suggestions?

Yep, running lean.

You say you replaced the boots and o-rings, so, as long as they are sealing correctly, you should be OK.

You also say you "cleaned the carbs". Did you do the full tear down, dip and re-oring process or did you just drop the bowls and do some spritzing?

How far out do you have your idle mixture adjustment screws? Usually best to start at three full turns out, then, when the bike warms up, slowly adjust them for highest idle, or what we used to call "lean, best idle". They might end up between 2 and 2 1/2 turns, but setting them at 3 will richen the mixture a bit to enhance cold running.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you! The screws are set at 2 turns out. I will reset at 3 and try that.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. hands,

Is the airbox properly sealed? There should be no leaks anywhere in the intake system. Proper carb cleaning procedures, etc, are in the links below.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I will echo both steve And cliff and suggest checking the airbox for proper seal. The only place air should be coming in is the snorkel on the back of the box (in front of the battery, kinda stuffed down in there and hard to see) often times when shifting things around to get the carbs back in the snorkel may come loose, you can re-install it and use some rubber cement to keep her there (this also works well for those stubborn shrunken slide diaphragms that don't want to stay in their groove). The side covers of the airbox should also have a sort of rubber gasket that shrinks and doesn't seal well. And the filter frame should have some sort of sealing material where it mates up with the inside of the box. If those sealing rubbers are gone, use some double sided weather stripping tape in their stead. If it's sucking air from other places besides the snorkel it can cause it to run lean and the idle will hang.

Comment

Could have run out of slow run adjustment on the knob as somebody has plated around with the synch. Or the throttle cable may be adjusted too tight, preventing the carb adjuster doing its job.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X