650 air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 air box

I have a GS650g. When I got it It was missing many parts Includeing all Air intake parts. I have found purchased and aquired two air boxes one that connects to the carbs 4 to one, the one is a vertical oval shape that connects to a box under the fuse box and seat. that box has an open end facing the back of the right side cover. There is a "D" shape in the back of the box where the air filter would seem to fit If I had one. My question is What filter do I buy? and It looks like there should be some kind of cover for the second box. to hold the filter in place but I cant find one on ebay. and the diagram on bike bandit dosent look anything like what I have on my bike. Dose It have a cover and where can I get it. Thanks for the help.

CwD

How about posting in the Parts Wanted forum? Please list the part you need in the title. For example, Wanted: 650G rear airbox cover.

The part is still available from Suzuki, but it's expensive.

Good luck
    Last edited by Nessism; 11-19-2011, 09:06 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

There may be slight differences between years and models. What year is your GS650? Is it an "L" model? Put that information in your sig file so it will be easier to help you.

For example, this is the '81 GS650GX air intake assembly. Is this yours?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The Diagram you have shown here is not the right one. thats the same one thats on bike bandit's page. its an 81 650g thats all thats on the title and the side covers. thats all I know but that diagram is not what I have.

Comment

Hi,

If you own a 1981 GS850G then the parts fiche picture I posted is the airbox assembly for your bike. If yours does not look like that then it's possible you have purchased the wrong parts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

But the parts i purchased of ebay fit all the bolts line up and has a mounting bolts for electrical components. it looks right. thanks for stickin with me.

Comment

How about posting up some photos of your parts? Upload photos to photobucket or similar, then link the [img] code here and the photos show up in high resolution.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A little clarification

Cliff's right, that there can be minor, but significant, differences between same basic models, different years, but in your case there ain't any. ALL shaft drive 650's, whether the 'STD' 'G' or the 'Custom' 'L', 81-83, have the same air induction parts. Unfortunately, as you've discovered, the primary, filter-holding, air box does not come with a separately listed cover. The reason the parts diagrams don't look like what you have is that, for the purposes of diagram clarity, the primary box with cover, is shown vertically instead of horizontally as it actually is on the bikes. I don't know if replacement filters for the 'G's and 'L's, such as the Uni-Filter, are still available new, but the problem with those is that they don't include the plastic 'cage' that the foam filter surrounds for mounting purposes. That 'cage' matches the 'D' shape you describe on the inside of the intake box. When I first started on here, after a few posts, I asked if a K&N fiber replacement was available, and the consensus answers were 'no', but I did find one quite by accident on eBay, but it was gone by the time I gathered myself up to bid on it. SO-as far as the cover goes, I have seen them on the 'Bay now and again, sometimes with the usual pile of nutz'n'bolts sellers try to off, but almost never. As far as the filter goes, you're pretty much stuck with the OEM from the many on-line sources for OEM. Reason you're stuck is that the original OEM filter comes with (wait for it) THE CAGE, for 31 bux. Z1 enterprises, or some shopping around might find it a little cheaper. Some months ago, somebody in your basic predicament needed a cage, and eventually did find one hiding in somebodies' junk box on here. The cover, however---. Keep looking on eBay daily!!! If you're trying to make it run, and score the filter, some heavy plastic sheeting, held on by strong rubber bands, might suffice for the purpose. Cliff's also right, no caveats, about putting your year and exact model in your signature, helps a lot when seeking other info in the future. One last thing, sourcing the original clamps helps with the quality of your intake set-up. Oh, and welcome to the nut-house!!
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

The 82 650G's have the same airbox design as Above, but the cover faces Out Sideways, towards the Riders Right.

Those metal clips that hold the cover on, are a bitch to get on too!
                  (you sort of develop the technique after a few tries)

Comment

clips

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    The 82 650G's have the same airbox design as Above, but the cover faces Out Sideways, towards the Riders Right.

Those metal clips that hold the cover on, are a bitch to get on too!
                    (you sort of develop the technique after a few tries)
                    I found that installing the bottom clip first helps, along with some bent-nose pliers
                    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by cwdavis View Post
                      I have a GS650g. When I got it It was missing many parts Includeing all Air intake parts. I have found purchased and aquired two air boxes one that connects to the carbs 4 to one, the one is a vertical oval shape that connects to a box under the fuse box and seat. that box has an open end facing the back of the right side cover. There is a "D" shape in the back of the box where the air filter would seem to fit If I had one. My question is What filter do I buy? and It looks like there should be some kind of cover for the second box. to hold the filter in place but I cant find one on ebay. and the diagram on bike bandit dosent look anything like what I have on my bike. Dose It have a cover and where can I get it. Thanks for the help.

CwD
                      Some part diagrams are shown wrong as you found out, On the G and L the rear of airbox has a vertical oval connecting to air filter box which has a cover facing right side. As others stated, the cover is held on by two slider clips. Inside this filter box, there was a D shaped cage that held a foam filter and was "clamped" between cover and rear air filter box. The cover and cage seem to get misplaced by strippers, but I have seen a few in the last year. Someone on here might have converted to pod filters and has one lying around.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X