Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 barely idling

Hello
    This forum has amzing people and information. I have read a ton of posts and tried a bunch of things. But I am baffled and need the help of the colletive.
    I have an 83 GS 650 G that is running like poo. It has an air box with filter and stock exhaust. With the choke almost all the way it will idle, but when I get it to idle it acts like it is going to die at any moment. If I open the choke up more, the RPMs shoot up to 3000ish. If I touch the throttle at all it dies.
    The things I are good are as follows. It is getting good spark. I did the coil relay mod per Basscliff site. This is one thing I did before things went bad though. I dipped the carbs because some crap got into them. The valves were adjusted 400ish miles ago. I sprayed WD40 around all the boots and air box junctions. The carb boot o-rings were replaced today. I am running off an external gas tank right now but no difference with the regular tank.
    Okay experts and fellow GSers, what should I do or check next? Thanks.

Are you saying it won't idle or run without the choke?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
      With the choke almost all the way it will idle, but when I get it to idle it acts like it is going to die at any moment. If I open the choke up more, the RPMs shoot up to 3000ish. If I touch the throttle at all it dies.
      Which way is the 'choke' "almost all the way"?

Which way is the 'choke' "open"?

You have an '83, so your ENRICHMENT control (not "choke") is on the left handgrip. The ENRICHED position is to the LEFT, the RUN position is to the RIGHT.

Please use those points of reference and repeat your symptoms.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

After you completely disassembled them, dipped them, cleaned them, and reassembled them with a new O-ring kit, did you bench sync the carbs? Have you replaced the intake boots themselves? Is the airbox sealed? You must ensure there are no air intake leaks. Double check the carb reassembly for missing or loose parts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Are you saying it won't idle or run without the choke?
          Correct!

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Which way is the 'choke' "almost all the way"?

Which way is the 'choke' "open"?

You have an '83, so your ENRICHMENT control (not "choke") is on the left handgrip. The ENRICHED position is to the LEFT, the RUN position is to the RIGHT.

Please use those points of reference and repeat your symptoms.
          Sorry, english is like a second language for me. The enrichment control is pushed to the left. Before, when the bike was running great, all the way to the left would be 4000+ RPM and I never would enrich it that much. About half enriched and a tap of the starter and it was running.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

After you completely disassembled them, dipped them, cleaned then, and reassembled them with a new O-ring kit, did you bench sync the carbs? Have you replaced the intake boots themselves? Is the airbox sealed? You must ensure there are no air intake leaks. Double check the carb reassembly for missing or loose parts.

BassCliff
          Replaced the carb o-rings 400ish miles ago and bench synced the carbs. Double checked the gaps this morning. Intake boots were not changed but still squishy when pinched with fingers. I tore down the carbs to check float level this morning and they looked fine. I pulled a couple of needles to spot check, they looked good. I also checked the holes the vents and gas lines connect too. Thought about pulling all needles based off advice on another thread.

Is the air box sealed, good question BassCliff. Is there something besides spraying WD-40 on it to find a leak?

Hope that helps in finding the issue.

Comment

update

Building off Basscliff's idea of checking the air box for leaks. I started it up and pulled the air box cover and there was no change. I pulled the filter out and put my hand over the intake hole. The bike surged. I plugged it up about 3/4 and got it to idle. I then could twist the throttle and it would rev up like a good kitty. I let it idle and sprayed start fluid around the different connectors and no change and so I am reasonably confident that there isn't a leak at the boots and seals.

The air box is pretty simple and probably has a good seal. I am wondering if I re-oil the filter if that will be what is needed. I rode through a dust storm awhile back and there were small balls of dirt all over the inside of the air box and on the filter. I wonder if all the oil was sucked out? What you all think? I will go get some oil anyways and reapply.

Will be pulling the carbs too because when I started to rev the bike gas came out the air box drain! So, anything I need to check while I am there let me know.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at the airbox sealing and air intake repair guides on my little website to get an idea of what it takes to seal up the intake system. Sometimes squirting stuff at it doesn't tell you much. You just have to do it.

BassCliff

Comment

Big idle knob in the center of the carbs turned in far enough??
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did you check your plugs yet?
                  They can allow you to rule out things.
                  (for instance, if the plugs are wet, you're flooding the engine. If the plugs are ultra dried out, you could be getting too much air)

If you give it Throttle and it dies out, HOW does it die out?
                  Does it sputter out with a "whoooosh" sound?
                  Does it just die Instantly with No Sputter?

Comment

Was it running better before dust storm, carb boot orings replacement, or some other operation? At the moment, it sounds lean when you open throttle, but like 1_v-8 _ merc said, check plugs. My 31 year old carb boots are definitely not "squishy"- I'm expecting them to vaporize at any moment until I find a miracle spray-on restorer from Ron Popeil.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Have a look at the airbox sealing and air intake repair guides on my little website to get an idea of what it takes to seal up the intake system. Sometimes squirting stuff at it doesn't tell you much. You just have to do it.

BassCliff
                      BassCliff, you site is amazing and I have had it as a book mark for about a year. I did read the guides. My air box is pretty simple and didn't see much that I could seal. The box cover is over lapping plastic and looks and seems sealed. Not sure what more I could do.

my filter

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Big idle knob in the center of the carbs turned in far enough??

That seemed to help Messing with that and maybe the cleaned and freshly oiled oil filter helped? The bike started to run pretty good with the enrichment lever to the right. Confidence was running high, but then, I decided to fix the time gas leak mentioned above before fine tuning the carbs. I pulled the carbs and fixed that issue. I also checked the needles to make sure they were still clean. I had an extra set of o-rings so I replaced the t and gas feed o-rings. Benched synched the carbs again. Put it all back together again and...

Nothing, crank crank crank

Checked spark, yup. Plugs looked dry. Turned the idle screw in and out. Checked the mixture screw and left them at 1 1/2 turns out. Started at 2 and 1/2 turns out. Battery is charging just to make sure it is fine.

Putting the wrenches down and stepping away from the garage.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

When you drain the carbs you do know you have to set the petcock to PRI for a few seconds to refill them..right? If not it will crank and be very hard to start. The screws may be perfectly set but it still wont want to start unless the carbs are primed. Leave it on prime till it starts then swing down to the ON position.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When you replaced the carb boot orings, did you use the robert barr's cycle orings ones or something else?
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
                            BassCliff, you site is amazing and I have had it as a book mark for about a year. I did read the guides. My air box is pretty simple and didn't see much that I could seal. The box cover is over lapping plastic and looks and seems sealed. Not sure what more I could do.

my filter

That seemed to help Messing with that and maybe the cleaned and freshly oiled oil filter helped? The bike started to run pretty good with the enrichment lever to the right. Confidence was running high, but then, I decided to fix the time gas leak mentioned above before fine tuning the carbs. I pulled the carbs and fixed that issue. I also checked the needles to make sure they were still clean. I had an extra set of o-rings so I replaced the t and gas feed o-rings. Benched synched the carbs again. Put it all back together again and...

Nothing, crank crank crank

Checked spark, yup. Plugs looked dry. Turned the idle screw in and out. Checked the mixture screw and left them at 1 1/2 turns out. Started at 2 and 1/2 turns out. Battery is charging just to make sure it is fine.

Putting the wrenches down and stepping away from the garage.
                            You can throw some rubber or foam window sealer in the groove at the outside edges of the airbox if you want to. It'll make the fit very snug, but it really is the only thing on the 650 airbox that can be sealed further. From what I've seen so far, they are very different from the 850s.

Make sure that the seal between the airbox and the connector to the carbs is tight. If the clamp (should be part #10 in your earlier fiche) is cinched down as far as it goes, you could possibly have a leak there.

As an aside, does your airfilter element load in from the top as shown in that diagram? Or from the side?
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              When you replaced the carb boot orings, did you use the robert barr's cycle orings ones or something else?
                              Yeah, they are from Robert Barr.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              When you drain the carbs you do know you have to set the petcock to PRI for a few seconds to refill them..right? If not it will crank and be very hard to start. The screws may be perfectly set but it still wont want to start unless the carbs are primed. Leave it on prime till it starts then swing down to the ON position.
                              I have a temp tank that is like a giant funnel. That is why I am confussed on why it isn't starting. I even double checked the float levels when I had the carbs off.

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              You can throw some rubber or foam window sealer in the groove at the outside edges of the airbox if you want to. It'll make the fit very snug, but it really is the only thing on the 650 airbox that can be sealed further. From what I've seen so far, they are very different from the 850s.

Make sure that the seal between the airbox and the connector to the carbs is tight. If the clamp (should be part #10 in your earlier fiche) is cinched down as far as it goes, you could possibly have a leak there.

As an aside, does your airfilter element load in from the top as shown in that diagram? Or from the side?
                              Mine is side loaded, so the diagram is wrong. I will look into a new boot between the airbox and carb connector. I wonder if the new oil on the filter is helping the no start issue. I was so close to riding with you all and so close to bringing a GS back to life.

Comment

Working...
                              X