GS 650 barely idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

It's not that the diagram is wrong. The air filter box had to be rotated 90 degrees in the parts fiche illustration so that it could be seen properly. The lid is actually on the right side of the bike, not the top as shown.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks

I will be back at it tomorrow. Guess I will try pulling the filter apart again. Apply some caulking Pull the carbs again if it still doesn't start. Maybe even try a rubber mallet.

Really at a loss

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
        Thanks

I will be back at it tomorrow. Guess I will try pulling the filter apart again. Apply some caulking Pull the carbs again if it still doesn't start. Maybe even try a rubber mallet.

Really at a loss
        If you haven't already, check your battery and charge it overnight...you're probably starting to get low if you've been cranking it repeatedly and not getting it to run. Also, make sure the terminals and leads are securely connected. I have gone through the non-starting issue only to discover that my neg lead was loose...enough contact to turn it over, but apparently not enough to get it to turn over and fire strongly. Tightened it down, and away we went.
        Last edited by BigD_83; 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          If you haven't already, check your battery and charge it overnight...you're probably starting to get low if you've been cranking it repeatedly and not getting it to run. Also, make sure the terminals and leads are securely connected. I have gone through the non-starting issue only to discover that me neg lead was loose...enough contact to turn it over, but apparently not enough to get it to turn over and fire strongly. Tightened it down, and away we went.
          Thanks big D, I will add it to the list to check. Thats why I love this forum. I think every idea posted in this thread I have investigated. Thanks to each suggestion. If anyone has anything else I will look into it also. I have been thinking of using electrical tape as a way to make sure the connections are sealed on the air box. If that helps I will fork the money out for new boots.

Comment

You guys did it! The bike seems to be running great. It was a combo of fixing the needle seats, battery charging, and re-bench synching the carbs with a paper clip. So maybe I have pulled the carbs for the last time in a long time!

But... I put the tank back on to make sure it runs. I also put on a clear gas tube so I can see the gas flowing. No gas flowing with the tube hooked up on prime or on or reserve! If I pull the tube off the petcock gas flows, found out the hard way. Back to searching for the answer. Oh, the petcock is new from z1.

Comment

It is a good result if you are not getting any fuel flow with the tube in place on PRIME or RUN and the bike is not running IF the carb bowls are already full. That means your floats are working properly.

My question is:how do you know there is no fuel flowing? Are you removing the fuel line from carburetors and letting it drain back into a gas can?

Does it flow when the tubing is not connected to the carbs, but is connected to the petcock (i.e. open at the downstream end)?
              '83 GS650G

Comment

It is a good result if you are not getting any fuel flow with the tube in place on PRIME or RUN and the bike is not running IF the carb bowls are already full. That means your floats are working properly.

My question is:how do you know there is no fuel flowing? Are you removing the fuel line from carburetors and letting it drain back into a gas can?

Does it flow when the tubing is not connected to the carbs, but is connected to the petcock (i.e. open at the downstream end)?
                With the gas tank hooked up to the carbs, no fuel flows at all. I have a clear gas line on the bike. No fuel flows with the bike running either.

If I take the tank off and turn it to prime, it flows great. I don't get it.

Comment

With the gas tank hooked up to the carbs, no fuel flows at all. I have a clear gas line on the bike. No fuel flows with the bike running either.

If I take the tank off and turn it to prime, it flows great. I don't get it.
                  On my 650, I can't really see the fuel flowing unless there is an air bubble in the line...

If you leave it hooked up to the petcock and the carbs, does the engine die out on you?

Someone ought to be along shortly with a markedly pointed solution.

EDIT- wait a minute: with the tank ON the bike it doesn't flow, but with the tank OFF the bike, fuel flows through the tubing? That sounds like a kink in the line, or a low spot. Do you have pictures of the setup on the bike?
                  Last edited by BigD_83; 11-21-2011, 09:10 PM.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

On my 650, I can't really see the fuel flowing unless there is an air bubble in the line...

If you leave it hooked up to the petcock and the carbs, does the engine die out on you?

Someone ought to be along shortly with a markedly pointed solution.

EDIT- wait a minute: with the tank ON the bike it doesn't flow, but with the tank OFF the bike, fuel flows through the tubing? That sounds like a kink in the line, or a low spot. Do you have pictures of the setup on the bike?
                    The bike does die after all the fuel runs out of the floats. I use my temp tank to prime the line. The fuel line goes directly into the carbs, no kinks. I am setup like stock except the fuel line is clear. My temp tank is basically a big funnel. I am wondering if the pressure of my temp tank is forcing the gas to flow. I’m heading to the store to get a funnel that will fit in the fuel line. This will let me know if there is some sort of clog or something since it will be less pressure.

Temp tank

Lines quickly connected to gas tank

Lines going to carb

Comment

Hi,

Are you familiar with the operation of a vacuum petcock? Your petcock should have a fuel line and a vacuum line attached. In RUN or RES, your petcock should not let fuel flow unless the engine is running and providing vacuum. As soon as the engine is turned off, no vacuum, no fuel flow. The PRIme setting will allow fuel to flow via gravity whether the engine is running or not.

If your petcock flows in PRI, but not ON or RES when the engine is running, I would suspect the petcock, or a bad vacuum hose/fitting/connection.

The vacuum line should be plugged when running from an aux tank.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi,

Are you familiar with the operation of a vacuum petcock? Your petcock should have a fuel line and a vacuum line attached. In RUN or RES, your petcock should not let fuel flow unless the engine is running and providing vacuum. As soon as the engine is turned off, no vacuum, no fuel flow. The PRIme setting will allow fuel to flow via gravity whether the engine is running or not.

If your petcock flows in PRI, but not ON or RES when the engine is running, I would suspect the petcock, or a bad vacuum hose/fitting/connection.

The vacuum line should be plugged when running from an aux tank.

BassCliff
                        I have a weird one here. With the gas tank connected and set to prime there is zero gas flow. If I pull the gas line while the tank is connected my hand gets covered in gas, ask me how I know.

To summerize, if I connect my tank to the fuel line and turn it to prime, no fuel flows. If I unhook the petcock and turn it to prime, the fuel flows. If I hook up my aux tank, gas flows to the carbs and it runs. (super happy about the running part!)

Comment

Well, got it all sorted out. Thanks to everyone. Happy riding and have a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

Well, got it all sorted out. Thanks to everyone. Happy riding and have a great Thanksgiving!
                            Mop Bucket,

Don't leave us hanging. What was your solution?
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

I think that the gas was trickling so slowly I couldn't see it going down the tube. I let it run for 5ish minutes and it never died with the choke on. I rode it around the block and it ran fine. The tube was full of gas when I got back. Not positive it is fixed completely since it died while riding around on a longer ride, but it could have died because it flooded.

Patience I guess is what fixed it

Comment

Working...
                              X