air box replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box replacement

Does anyone know if, apart from pods, there are any other options for replacement of the air box? Something like a single filter that fits over the inlets that is smaller and easier to remove than the original airbox. On the subject of pods (filters) I see there are various ones available, some of the chrome ones are very cheap when compared to the K&N ones.....which are the best to go for?..any info much appreciated.

RB (greenbraes)

You get what you pay for when it comes to pods. Cheap ones usually don't filter very well and can sap power and increase fuel consumption. K&Ns cost but work. APE are meant to make decent filters as well but I've no experience of them.

There are some decent foam type filters that fit - like Pipercross for example - but they aren't cheap and it seems to me that the foam can't last as long as a K&N type.

If it's just the hassle of putting the airbox on and off that's making you look for an alternative then don't. Once you have mastered the knack, fitting the standard airbox is pretty easy.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Feel free to put your bike's year and model in your signature file. That way you will receive more accurate advice when you forget to tell us what you ride.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

OK point taken, signature sorted

I think I will try and keep the air box for now, a new 'harris' exhaust will be the main change. I have a set of repair kits for the carbs so they will be coming off when I get home from offshore. I take it that a stage 1 kit would also be wise?

RB (greenbraes)

Comment

I do believe the GS1000EN is a '79 model. My '79 GS1000EN was manufactured in Aug '78 according to the sticker on the frame.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbraes View Post
            OK point taken, signature sorted

I think I will try and keep the air box for now, a new 'harris' exhaust will be the main change. I have a set of repair kits for the carbs so they will be coming off when I get home from offshore. I take it that a stage 1 kit would also be wise?

RB (greenbraes)
            No need to go spendy on a stage 1 kit just for a Harris with a standard airbox. A tweak on the airscrew, leave the needles where they are and 100 or 102.5 mains is all I've ever done when swapping exhausts only.

The repair bits you need are a set of O rings from Robert Barr and maybe float needles and seats if the needles can't hold back fuel flow (do a bench test). You won't need all the other bits.

Is that a brand new Harris by the way? Norman Hyde?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The Norman Hyde 'Harris' is the one. I will buy new, there was one on ebay that looked pretty rough that went for £80..ish and would need painting...phew!..so I think new and shiny is worth every penny. The new pipe I bought for the Zephyr cost twice as much as the Harris.

RB

PS. once I get the new pipe the old one is there for anyone who wants to come pick it up....freeee. I think it is a motad, and to be honest it was a bugger to get the back bolt off, it was forced up hard to make it fit, apart from that I think it will polish up not to bad.

Comment

sedelen....opps.....got the date right now....it is a 1979 model.......must try harder (well that is what the wife keeps saying)

Comment

Working...
                X